new virgin socket and telephone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I have just switched from BT to Virgin for my phone as I already have a Virgin package of broadband and TV. When the engineer came to install the socket , he put it in the corner behind the tv (not by the BT socket as I have read would have been best) as that is where the cable comes in, but now I wish I had it somewhere else as there is nowhere for me to put a phone except next to the TV. I have a new cordless phone which says on the instructions that it shouldn't be placed near electrical appliances but I have no choice using this new socket. I can't run an extension anywhere convenient. I could get an engineer in to move the socket but I have to pay £99. Does anyone know if a telephone with answerphone would be affected by being by the tv and also if I did get the phone socket moved then would I have cables running around the house if it was not on an outside wall. thanks for any advice,

Sponsored Links
Hi Judy, As part of the installation the engineer should have asked you where you wanted the telephone socket rather than just assumed, this is part of the installation and assuming its not in a really difficult location shouldn't have been a problem. If they installed the socket without asking you then in my view you have grounds to ask them to come back and move it although they will argue that you accepted where it had been installed at the time. If you do have the socket moved the engineer will clip the cable along your skirting board to where it needs to go or if going outside is possible/easier they can run it that way. Anyway with regards to the phone/answerphone next to the TV, i know a few people who are in the same situation as yourself and have the phone next to the TV and they do have really bad interference on the cordless phones. Having said that id try it and see what its like.

:eek:

At work we have a cordless phone base next to:

CCTV recorder and multiplexer
IBM server and monitor
broadband router and switch
satellite radio reciever and 100v amp
another PC and monitor
2 laser printers
In the corner of the room is a 3 phase 160 amp 400 volt electricity supply head and meter cabinet.

and theres no interference. The phone works from the other end of the shop, about 20 metres away, through a metal stud wall and refrigeration units.

Whats more, the store is lit by approx. 100 4-tube fluorescent light fittings.

I cant see how a LCD TV and digibox could cause any more interference than this lot.

Sponsored Links
I havnt had any problems with my cordless next-to myLCD, neither any problems nexto a plasma at work, the older CRT TVs gave trouble with the static from them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back