Renovating clouded perspex

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a perspex canopy over an outdoor swimming pool. It is 10-15 years old and in generally good condition apart from several large areas, several feet square, where what appears to be sunscreen cream has clouded the plastic, rendering it white and opaque. It will not wipe off with a damp cloth nor rub off with a fingernail. Does anyone know of a restoration treatment suitable for this which is over a larger than average area, i.e. not suitable for small cleaning kits? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Acrylic can sometimes be polished out. Cast acrylic is better than extruded acrylic, which is softer. You could try T-Cut in a small corner and if it looks like it will work move onto an acrylic polishing compound like Zwizzer on a mop head. The Plastic Sheets Shop has some good info on the techniques and materials used here

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Plastic bath polish/repair paste, I have used it to polish up my Volvo headlamp covers which get cloudy.

you might try searching on a car detailing forum

Ive polished up plastic using a felt mop on a drill and some polishing compound, but you have to be careful not to burn it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back