Best way to clean a venetian blind

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, this is the time to have a good old moan about cleaning venetian blinds. Our kitchen venetian blind is aluminium, has 2-inch slats, and it's above the sink unit. Recently, my wife (of 84 — I'm 87) lost the confidence that she used to have when standing on a board (laid onto the sink unit, as a platform). It has now fallen to me to clean the blind, but, instead of standing, I need to take it down, because there is not much room for me to stand up there.

Accordingly, I took the blind down and put it across my widened knees, took a cloth soaked in Stardrops (yes, we do have some Stardrops) and started to wipe each slat. The physical difficulty of working like this was considerable, but, worse, the mixture of hot water with Stardrops hardly touched the grease (the blind is at the side, and higher, than the cooking-stove, so it must pick up grease from the atmosphere).

I then tried using Jiff (now called Ciff), which is an ever-so-slightly abrasive cream, with the Stardrops water. In some places, however hard I rubbed with the Ciff-rag, the grease stayed on. (It isn't really a lot of grease, and, unless one were to look carefully, it might not be seen. However, if left on, it will get worse.) However, I was supposed to be cleaning the blind, and, naturally, wanted the slats to be perfectly clean when I had finished. After well over an hour, the job was done, but I was not satisfied, because, really, the slats are not perfectly clean. If Ciff won't get it off, I don't know what would!

So, if you have borne with this moan for so long, I am now asking: is there anyone that can recommend a cleaning method that does not involve sitting with knees apart, and struggling in the way that I did, and which is not as useless as going over the blind with a silly duster (those that are supposed to grip both sides of each slat)?

I should be willing to hold the blind over a bath of hot liquid (in my more desperate moments, I think of acid), if that liquid would dissolve grease by dunking. (Except that it might also dissolve the cords that hold the slats!) I badly need a method that will work, in that the grease could easily be dissolved, and that does not involve struggling with the blind across my knees (nor standing over the sink, and attempting to wipe down the slats of the extended/dropped blind). I am at a loss about what to do next time, and very much hope that some genius has found a less arduous and effective method of doing the job.

With thanks for any helpful suggestions,
L.L.

Sponsored Links
you have my sympathy.
I like venetian blinds, and have them on all front windows, and the back bedroom
However I'd never have them on the kitchen for exactly the reason you give.
I did have a roller blind in the kitchen but that gathered dirt as well.- Despite almost always using the cooker hood.

It could be that your blinds are just past it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00IGWX...3831.1605545376&tag=best_reviews_uk_1-21&th=1

is pretty good.

One thing about tedious cleaning is to switch on the TV or radio, select a programme and zone out. Even if you need several sittings, a distraction from monotony helps make cleaning easier

Hi, this is the time to have a good old moan about cleaning venetian blinds. Our kitchen venetian blind is aluminium, has 2-inch slats, and it's above the sink unit. Recently, my wife (of 84 — I'm 87) lost the confidence that she used to have when standing on a board (laid onto the sink unit, as a platform). It has now fallen to me to clean the blind, but, instead of standing, I need to take it down, because there is not much room for me to stand up there.

Accordingly, I took the blind down and put it across my widened knees, took a cloth soaked in Stardrops (yes, we do have some Stardrops) and started to wipe each slat. The physical difficulty of working like this was considerable, but, worse, the mixture of hot water with Stardrops hardly touched the grease (the blind is at the side, and higher, than the cooking-stove, so it must pick up grease from the atmosphere).

I then tried using Jiff (now called Ciff), which is an ever-so-slightly abrasive cream, with the Stardrops water. In some places, however hard I rubbed with the Ciff-rag, the grease stayed on. (It isn't really a lot of grease, and, unless one were to look carefully, it might not be seen. However, if left on, it will get worse.) However, I was supposed to be cleaning the blind, and, naturally, wanted the slats to be perfectly clean when I had finished. After well over an hour, the job was done, but I was not satisfied, because, really, the slats are not perfectly clean. If Ciff won't get it off, I don't know what would!

So, if you have borne with this moan for so long, I am now asking: is there anyone that can recommend a cleaning method that does not involve sitting with knees apart, and struggling in the way that I did, and which is not as useless as going over the blind with a silly duster (those that are supposed to grip both sides of each slat)?

I should be willing to hold the blind over a bath of hot liquid (in my more desperate moments, I think of acid), if that liquid would dissolve grease by dunking. (Except that it might also dissolve the cords that hold the slats!) I badly need a method that will work, in that the grease could easily be dissolved, and that does not involve struggling with the blind across my knees (nor standing over the sink, and attempting to wipe down the slats of the extended/dropped blind). I am at a loss about what to do next time, and very much hope that some genius has found a less arduous and effective method of doing the job.

With thanks for any helpful suggestions,
L.L.
HI LL,

Hope you are well. We used to have these pesky blinds all round our old house, esp in the kitchen with oil and cooking, horrible to clean, and unfortunately i too ended up washing them in the back with some good old fashion fairy liquid. We did try one of those weird 3 finger cleaning pads you can get from amazon ebay etc. If you search on ebay/amazon for 'Venetian blind cleaner' you will find them. But they just really are good for dusting not removing grease. So for the rest of the house they may well work but im afraid i found the same for greasy blinds.

Best of luck my friend. Sorry i can't offer better advice.

Try some methylated spirits in your washing water. Maybe half a cupful to a bucket of hot water with your stardrops or better still some aerial washing powder.

Sponsored Links
you have my sympathy.
I like venetian blinds, and have them on all front windows, and the back bedroom
However I'd never have them on the kitchen for exactly the reason you give.
I did have a roller blind in the kitchen but that gathered dirt as well.- Despite almost always using the cooker hood.

It could be that your blinds are just past it.
Thanks, Tigercubrider, for your reply and your wish to help. However, this blind is only about two years old (perhaps a bit less). Someone that I discussed the cleaning problem with recommended wiping with undiluted Flash cleaner, to be rinsed off afterwards. I shall try that. However, it seems as if the cleaning will need to be done with the blind fixed, and me standing on the board (however awkward that may be). I should not be willing to put it across my knees again!
L.L.

Try some methylated spirits in your washing water. Maybe half a cupful to a bucket of hot water with your stardrops or better still some aerial washing powder.
Thanks, Old Salt. I may try that. Thing is, obtaining the meths would be a problem, considering that I'm not very mobile, and the lockdown.
L.L.

One thing about tedious cleaning is to switch on the TV or radio, select a programme and zone out. Even if you need several sittings, a distraction from monotony helps make cleaning easier
Head phones and Gin!..works for me.

@Lucky Luke. I feel your frustration mate. Somebody once told me to remove each slat form the cords and put them in the bath with very hot soapy water for a few hours. Take out the bath one at a time and dry them off by wiping them through the towel so you are not spreading dirty water over them. It seemed to work but unfortunately I wasn't told to lay some towels in the bath first to prevent it scratching. Ended up costing me a new bath and fitting it!
Have you considered just binning the blind and buying a new one. This could then be wiped over once a week to help prevent the build up of grease etc.

I must admit I was going to suggest a new blind- possibly two identical ones so that when number one is dirty you bin it and number two should just use the same clips?
Not very green, but bugger it.
Some mail order blind companies can be remarkably cheap

I must admit I was going to suggest a new blind- possibly two identical ones so that when number one is dirty you bin it and number two should just use the same clips?
Not very green, but bugger it.
Some mail order blind companies can be remarkably cheap
That's what we do - only have blinds on the kitchen door, as half of it is glass. We just buy the £20 skinny blinds then chuck em out when they don't wipe clean easily anymore.

Used to lay blind out in the garden and jet wash then hang on line to dry , job for the summer though .

@Lucky Luke. I feel your frustration mate. Somebody once told me to remove each slat form the cords and put them in the bath with very hot soapy water for a few hours. Take out the bath one at a time and dry them off by wiping them through the towel so you are not spreading dirty water over them. It seemed to work but unfortunately I wasn't told to lay some towels in the bath first to prevent it scratching. Ended up costing me a new bath and fitting it!
Have you considered just binning the blind and buying a new one. This could then be wiped over once a week to help prevent the build up of grease etc.
Conny: I certainly would not like to try disassembling the blind, then having to reassemble it! That would be more work than trying to clean it as I have done. I think the only answer is neat Flash, then rinse as well as one is able. With regard to buying new blinds (not very attractive, in view of the cost for pensioners), it could well be that the firm that supplied this one has gone out of business (covid restrictions). When you order elsewhere, you cannot find out what kind of fixtures it will have (brackets etc), so I need to get one of exactly the same kind. It's a complicated situation, so I can't explain. Thanks to all correspondents.
L.L.

@Lucky Luke

Get some rubber gloves, pour this

Screenshot_20201117-122859.png

onto a micro fibre cloth, and just liberally wash the slats with it .

Leave a while, then repeat (or wipe off with cloth and clean water).

I use it on the kitchen tiles behind the hob (where grease almost condenses onto them) and it just melts the stuff away.

Gloves are essential though, as it will de-fat the skin on your hands.

Sponsored Links
Back