Renovating Internal doors question....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have had a number of my internal doors dipped and stripped, the results of which I'm pretty pleased with, questions I now have are:

1) what would do you think they are made out of? How can I tell?
2) I'm planning on sanding them down and oiling them up, probably with Danish oil. Do you think this is the best / easiest / quickest option? Or would I be better off going for wax? Considering that some of them aren't in very good condition, they have little filler marks all over them and I don't really want them to get any darker?

I have read around with mixed answers over whether its better to oil, wax or varnish. Ultimately I want a decent finish that is not ridiculously time intensive as I have 11 to do.

Thanks very much for any help you can give me, I'm very appreciative. ESpecially as once I have finished the doors I can have a go at the fire place which should be more enjoyable!!

Thanks again,

Sponsored Links
Difficult to be certain but many old doors were hemlock, but yours seem to be too knotty so I would suspect pine. As regards finish you really need to try different ones to find what you like, is there one door you can use for trial? if not use the top edge. I would suggest if you don't want to darken them try Lord Sheratons Wood Balsam, available at all supermarkets in the polish section.

For a high humidity environment use oil, for internal use wax or oil finish is OK, Pre wax, holes can be filled with wax filler by Lieberon use different coloures to match shade,the more different shades you use the less it will show up, sand down,apply one coat sanding sealer,wire wool off the nib's, then wax allow to dry and buff up,coloures of wax vary from clear to black, Oil finish, sand ,fill same as wax ,thin coats of oil keep coating until your happy ,Aviod any staining to exotic timber coloures it always looks like DIY time at Texas unless that's what your after.

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much for your advice. I've got a spare door which I don't need any more so that will now become my guinea pig!

Looks like I've got quite a bit of work ahead of me, best get started i suppose.

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back