Oak Veneer Cottage Internal Doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We have bought the above doors from Wickes, the doors have narrow vertical panels cut into them :

I don't want to paint them. I'd like them to look natural. What is the best product to decorate with - do I have to varnish or can they be waxed? If waxing, is that better than varnish?

Many thanks
Georgie

Sponsored Links
Wax can be buffed up to give a nice sheen and is easily 'topped up' occasionally.

OK, that sounds nice. Can you recommend a wax and also, is it easy to apply - basically, can I apply it wrong!!

I used a water-based matt varnish (also on some Wickes internal doors). Went on slightly milky but dried clear. Very happy with the result.

Sponsored Links
George,
I would recommend Osmo (but make sure you use the right version as there are several) simply because it is easy and relatively quick to apply.
There is a discussion on it here (added) also discussing if you should take risk of vanishing or oiling this type of veneer doors:
https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/internal-oak-doors.472401/
Sfk

Last edited:
The Wickes website informs for these doors in the product details box - "Door requires finishing using water based paint, stain or varnish. These doors are not suitable for treatment with any type of oil, wax or polish"

Your choice...

The Wickes website informs for these doors in the product details box - "Door requires finishing using water based paint, stain or varnish. These doors are not suitable for treatment with any type of oil, wax or polish"

Your choice...

Thank you. Really appreciate that. So, looks like it will have to be a varnish.

Satin varnish looks fairly plain, rather like a waxed finish

It does not have the "toffee apple" look of gloss varnish, but prevents water, dirt and stains from getting into the surface and is easy to clean..

Use an untinted varnish, not one with colour added. If you need colour, use a dye first on the bare wood, such as Colron.

As others have said you should follow the product advice of avoiding using oil.

The reason for this is (usually) with quite a few veneers the oil penetrates the veneer and releases it from the glue holding it to the rest of the wood.

In your case I'd probably opt for a wipe-on polyurethane satin varnish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back