Renovating the loft - what needs to be done?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to list all the things i'll need to do in a property that i'm looking to buy. In terms of renovating the loft i've come up with the following list of things:

1. Remove water tanks (as part of central heating upgrade to combi system)

2. Remove current loft insulation (it's decades old)

3. Get upstairs wiring done (will require some loft access)

4. Install TV distribution system in loft (amp, aerials)

5. Install power and lighting in loft

6. Vacuum out debris in loft

7. Install loft ladder

8. Lay new loft insulation to current standards (170mm)

Is there anything else I should do whilst i'm up in the loft?

Sponsored Links
I believe the current recommended depth of loft insulation is 270mm of mineral wool.

If you are wanting to use it as storage you might also want to board it out, or at least in parts.

Once you are up there you will also be able to see if you need to do any work on the roof.

Have fun, and good luck! we just bought a 'project house' as first time buyers and every job seems to disvcover so many problems!

Fit the loft ladder first.

is it felted? If not it will get filthy again. Carry all the dirty stuff out taped into plastic bags, as the dirt and dust will be very bad

I'd buy the insulation while it is at a special subsidised price of about £3 a roll. The plastic-wrapped space blanket is dust- and itch-free, but Wickes have an own-brand copy which is cheaper (only in big rolls). The current standard depth is 250mm not 170mm.

Knauf mineral wool is now treated with some organic stuff which makes it feel "silky" and prevents fibres flying off, so is pretty good that way. I have a lot of trouble with old fibreglass making me cough badly. My builder friend says one of his old chums had a bad coughing fit and died from it in his loft so I always use a mask now.

If you are going to want to walk about in the loft, you either need to cross-batten it to give enough space under the boards, or else lay quilt between the timbers, and rigid insulating foam slabs on top of the timbers with your boards screwed through the slabs to the timbers. This is more expensive.

See if you can lift an 8x2 sheet of board through the loft hatch (I can, just). It is far cheaper than those little loft boards sold in packs, and less trouble to fix. If you can get 18mm ply it is much stronger and longer-lasting than chipboard, which is an awful material.

Put some lighting up there, with a pull-cord switch you can reach from the hatch opening. Electrical cables should not be buried in insulation. If they are in contact with the ceiling, or exposed to the air, they will be OK.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back