Loft joists cut and false ceiling installed...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I've just started to strip back old loft boards to install a new loft hatch and ladder. Firstly, I noticed that the existing loft hatch was wider then the new casing, which got me thinking. When I remove all the boarding and insulation, found that the original beams had been cut to allow for the existing hatch and had bowed as they were no longer supported.

New stud work has been constructed underneath it and a false ceiling installed, which is lower that the remaining room.

I'd like to install the new loft ladder correctly so I'm thinking of:

a) removing the wooden lattice of the original ceiling and the severed joists
b) putting new, stronger joists in, of which two will be the correct width for the new hatch casing
c) leaving the false ceiling there until we are ready to renovate the landing and then removing and replacing it at the original height.

As the current joists are already severed, they are not supporting anything and I generally want to know if my plan above will work!

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Sponsored Links
There's a lot of soot there, was there a fire/smoke damage?

Nozzle

Those old ceiling joists/ties were put there to stop your roof from spreading and need to be replaced if you are removing any.

Sponsored Links
There is an unbelievable amount of soot in there, I've had to clear three bags of it out!

So far, part of the original ceiling has been removed and we now have three new joists to put in tomorrow, which will be spaced for the new loft hatch.

The false ceiling is remaining for the time being and fitted with new down lights.

Progress made now. New beams and strong casing constructed for the new loft hatch and ladder. The existing supports for the false ceiling and stud walls have provided support and these have been strengthened by steel brackets.

Cross beams have also been added and a new 100mm layer of insulation fitted to be finished tomorrow!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back