Cutting across ceiling joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I need to install a new ladder + loft hatch in my 1900's house. The opening for the old loft hatch is cut across the joists, rather than running along them, so two joists have already been cut. Because of high ceilings I will need a quite long folding ladder with a 1300mm opening, so will have to cut through a third joist. I wanted to ask for opinions on this. A hatch running along the joists is not an option because of how the space below is configured.
I've attached a drawing of the current opening. It's not great and the ceiling is already cracked where the joists aren't very supported. I'm planning to sister the outer joists and then cut through a third joist, adding doubled-up trimmers to form the new opening.

Basically I'm wary of cutting through a third joist so would value any advice on whether this is sound. I'll be using coach bolts to sister the joists and then using joist hangers and screws.

Many thanks,
Sam

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-18 at 11.38.55.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-18 at 11.38.55.png
    84.3 KB · Views: 79
  • Screenshot 2023-10-18 at 11.40.18.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-18 at 11.40.18.png
    97.9 KB · Views: 121
Sponsored Links
Well I'm guessing if you are going to install a loft ladder you are going to board the loft.
If you can board some of the loft first that will help keep everything together, My advice is cut as few as possible.

Yes I’ll be boarding the loft, but with loft legs, so won’t be holding it together much.
In your opinion will cutting one further joist compromise the ceiling dangerously? I can’t seem to find any info or videos about installing loft hatches that cut across joists…

Sponsored Links
Nobody can answer your question, the fact you can't find any videos should be general indicator that it isn't advisable! If you must cut through any ceiling joist I recommend laying a piece of timber across as many joist as possible and screw it down with long screws to bind the joists together prior to cutting, this way it should help stabilize things.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back