renovation

Hallsy said:
Cheers BAS, I think what the spark is saying is that he can offer an EIC to show BS7671 compliance, which I think I could do if I had calibrated test equipment (or would I need inspection & test course - 2391?) which then the LABC look at to show electrical compliance, so they only have to worry about building reg compliance.
OK - that's possible - if the LABC have decided that is how they will work, and that they will accept a BS7671 EIC, and then in conjunction with their own poking about issue a completion notice, then they are at liberty to do that. They cannot force anybody to employ a spark to do the EIC, but if everybody is happy to work that way..

As for you doing your own certificate, you don't need 2391, anybody who is "competent" can sign an EIC, and there is no official definition of "competent". But whether the LABC would accept your certificate is another matter....

Sponsored Links
Just trying to make sure the wool isn't being pulled over my friends eyes if you get me. He might end up paying out for an inspection that is still almost worhtless in the eyes of building regs, and have to pay out more money for another inspection.

I think even if I were considered competent it would be better for the spark to certificate as I have no personal liability insurance and so as my name would be on the EIC I would be liable for the wiring - yes?

I'll get my mate to ring both the LABC and the spark to get a clear idea of what needs to be done before we get too far ahead. At the mo we've pretty much chased the house today so no harm done yet!!

SparkyTris wrote:
I've just been through this, and this is how I understand it:

Now that the IEE wiring regulations are part of the building regulations

No they are not. Please read the law.

please explain! I thought I had this understood. Or is it just that BS7671 is a way of complying to Part P?
I can't read the law because it burns my eyes.

Quote:
The testing electrician will then either pass or fail the installation. If pass then the PIR goes to LABC and you are part P compliant; if fail then you try again.

Should be more than a PIR...?

In this case, all that was required was a PIR. the words "part P" were written on it somewhere though. I'll scan it and upload to my website next week.
I can't see the purpose of involving LABC - I see them as self-justifying bureaucrats, nanny state, moan moan etc. I could simply have paid half the fee to the certifying electrician and kept my PIR to myself. (for use with insurance, letting the property, future sellers packs). What I mean is, I am prepared to take responsibility for my own property's safety/reliability without resorting to local govt jobsworths.

Sponsored Links
SparkyTris said:
please explain! I thought I had this understood. Or is it just that BS7671 is a way of complying to Part P?
That's exactly what it is, a way of complying with the technical requirements of Part P. It is not mandated by the law, and of course it does not help you comply with all the other requirements.

I can't read the law because it burns my eyes.
That's worrying - it is short, and easy to understand. If you really cannot understand it then you should reconsider your career options, for you have no chance of understanding the wiring regulations.

In this case, all that was required was a PIR. the words "part P" were written on it somewhere though. I'll scan it and upload to my website next week.
Any notifiable electrical installation work should have more than just a PIR done afterwards, it should be properly inspected and tested. If Maidstone Borough Council are accepting PIRs done after the event then IMO they are stretching things a bit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back