Rented house dodgy wiring help

RF I understand your point of view but I'm not just complaining for the sake of it, I've never had to complain in any rented property before.

My concern is that any dodgy wiring could invalidate my contents insurance in the event of a fire. If my landlord were able to provide reassurance that the work he has had completed is certificated and that it's of the correct standard I'd be happy.

I've asked him and he's responded telling me the wiring is fine, I'm happy to admit I know little about electrical standards, I'm just after a second opinion to check.

Fair enough the fan may be ok, to my untrained mind, wiring, switches and sockets that aren't secured to the wall do not seem safe to me and I don't really want to take the risk.

Sponsored Links
The fan should have an isolator. It may be a humidity fan when you take the cover off see if there uis any litttle vents in the body of the cover the sensor is usually behind that. Often the humidity sensitivity can be adjusted. But if the place shows signs of mould then let it run.

On the wiring if its sheathed cable it should be clipped to the wall as a minimum. It doesnt actually need to be in conduit or protected in any other way unless its individual single strands of cable.

The switch should be on a surface or, a cut into the wall box and secure. By secure i mean fastened to the wall and fingers should not be able to get to the connections for the cable.

Did you rent direct from the landlord or through an agent. In my experience the agents are usually keen to keep the repairs upto date on a property, its easier to rent. A landlord is always trying to keep costs down but unless you have a real crook of one they should not object to repairs that keep the property safe and in good condition and they certainly dont want to get sued for injuries from exposed electrical items.

Post a picture on here of the wiring and switches might give him/her the jolt needed. Mind you it might get you thrown out :)

Your insurance will not be invalidated by your landlords action.
The insurance contract is with you and as you are not an electrician you will not be adjudged to be competent to state if the electrics are safe/unsafe.
If you have written confirmation from the landlord that the electrics are safe then this would strengthen your case if, God forbid, there was an electrical fire.
Don't mess with electrics unless you are competent, or better still, qualified.

I deal with a lot of rentals; many tenants do no comprehend 'over-run' and simply turn off the extractor at the isolator. I have explained numerous times how little they cost to run to tenants in the hope that they will leave them on but usually with little point. Extractors alone though are pretty useless.

Most landlords dont give a 'hoot' about elec safety, and ony comply with gas safety because they have too. Regardless, it sounds like there may be issues in your rental.

How damp/moist would a bathroom be to keep a humidistat fed fan running continually. Loose cabling and accessories is easily fixed, and your landlord shoud do it as a matter of course.

Keep pestering the bugler!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back