Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have installed a new bathroom fan with an isolator switch.
The fan comes on when the lights are on and off when switched off. Issue being the fan wont continue to run after the lights are off. It also has a humidity sensor built in, we have tried turning the timer/humidity screws both ways but still will not stay on after the light switch has been pulled?
Could it be a faulty unit or would we have a wire back to front?

Sponsored Links
The fan needs both a switched live and a permanent live. The switched live will make it come on with the lights, the permanent will enable the over run and humidistat.

Sponsored Links
Two-probe voltage tester you need.
68a.gif

If your switched live and permanent live wires were transposed, you would get that effect! :)

Would you?

The humidistat would not kick in just because the lights are on- the room would have to be above a certain humidity level.

The timer overrun? If that were set to, for example, 2 minutes, wouldn't it cut out after 2 mins even though the lights were still on.

Sorry but I think you might be wrong... then again, I might be wrong.

Would you?

The humidistat would not kick in just because the lights are on- the room would have to be above a certain humidity level.

The timer overrun? If that were set to, for example, 2 minutes, wouldn't it cut out after 2 mins even though the lights were still on.

Sorry but I think you might be wrong... then again, I might be wrong.

If the wiring were transposed, the fan would be 'seeing' the light switch as being on permanently. However, it can only operate when it's permanent live contact receives power.
Hence when the real light switch (connected to PL) is pulled, fan 'sees' light switch (the permanent live, connected to SL) is on and starts the fan running.
As soon as real light switch is turned off, the fan has no power (on PL) and dies!

The humidistat and overrun wouldn't come into it, as the usual behaviour of the fan is to come on when the light switch is pulled!

It's possible that there is a maximum runtime built in, but I daresay that threshold hasn't been met.

As you say, I may be wrong, but that's my logic! :)

If the wiring were transposed, the fan would be 'seeing' the light switch as being on permanently. However, it can only operate when it's permanent live contact receives power.
Hence when the real light switch (connected to PL) is pulled, fan 'sees' light switch (the permanent live, connected to SL) is on and starts the fan running.
As soon as real light switch is turned off, the fan has no power (on PL) and dies!

The humidistat and overrun wouldn't come into it, as the usual behaviour of the fan is to come on when the light switch is pulled!

It's possible that there is a maximum runtime built in, but I daresay that threshold hasn't been met.

As you say, I may be wrong, but that's my logic! :)

Far play. Tnx

Thanks all, will double check wiring, but sure is fine. Fan has a PL, SW and neutral connected.
Will hvae another look

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back