Rented House New Boiler, TPI Stat and programmer Doubts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a house that I rent out through an agent and the 30 year old boiler needs replacing and will be converting from a conventional hot water tank system to a combi which will be in the same spot in the kitchen.
Now comes to deciding on the timer/programmer and stat. Reading up on these it comes to mind that.
The RF stat/programmers that then relay to a receiver next to the boiler are unnecessary big to have laying around, easily knocked off a table and then an expensive unit to replace.
But then I come across them the other way around so its a smaller (just the stat) RF unit that relays to a fixed programmer next to the boiler.
Sounds like a much better option to me- but is it - what do you think

Then there's the TPI stat -- I dont think I want one, maybe I would in my own house but this is a rented one and I fear that I am just going to get phone calls saying that there's something wrong with the boiler because it keeps constantly coming on, or that the rads are not getting hot ( told you I have been reading).
So is there a RF stat - to fixed timer that is not a tpi one.

Sponsored Links
Wall mounted Wireless Programmable Room Thermostat with a wall mounted wireless receiver next to the boiler.
Honeywell/ Center Brand Derivative CM921, CM721

Thanks. Since posting I have come across a draton MiTime RF t710R which as you say is a timer /receiver at the boiler and a rf room stat but the TPI can be disabled, as I understand the Honeywells tpi can not be deactivated.

I really want to just go for a time switch Honeywell st9100c and an analogue stat on the wall wired where it is now but the gas engineer was saying that would need a sparky yet he can wire the programer/time switch and conect that to a spur.

I need help from you peeps in working out how its wired now, as --
Timer under the boiler in the kitchen
room stat on the kitchen wall in the hallway
cylinder upstairs

Does it go stat to timer switch to boiler and then also cylinder stat to boiler on another seperate wire. So I then can pick up the old stat to timer wire and use that in the new st9100c heat only timer

Sponsored Links
I have read the post.
Ok great so now you have read it, hopefully you can see that I do know at least a couple of the characteristics of a tpi unit in work, and it because of those two that I have doubts about fitting one in a rented property.
But I am here to get advice from people like your good self who know a lot more than I do and so I am open to be convinced that they are a good idea and my fears are unfounded.

TPI ( and derivatives) is an industrial control process and is really just a marketing trick by some of the controls manufacturers. When tested by the BRE etc no significant benefits have been found. With large properties and multiple zones it falls apart in combination with boiler anticycling timers. As you say many users find it very confusing when the stat is not corresponding with boiler operation. Consider controls from underfloor heating manufacturers....where TPI is not appropriate.

Consider controls from underfloor heating manufacturers....where TPI is not appropriate.
Thank you that is a good tip, could you point me to any please, but I am liking the draton MiTime as that can be de activated - as it can be used with a solid fuel boiler.

The engineer is wanting to fit an RF room stat but apart from the MiTime I cannot find any that are not tpi
Can the original wired room stat be used with a new Honeywell st9100c and then im sorted

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back