Repainting flaking wall: Zinsser peel stop/Bullseye/filler sequence?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks.

about to paint the new bathroom tomorrow. The walls were previously painted and seem to have had a paper border round the top at some point too. The paint was flaky so I’ve spent the day scraping it all back - so it’s now got a consistent surface. Where the paint was absolutely solid (near the ceiling and on one wall) I’ve left it untouched and have simply feathered the edge of the paint with the sander.

tomorrow I finish the prep and start to paint.

Not messing around with this, so the products I’ve already bought are:

Zinsser peel stop
Zinsser Bullseye 1-2-3 primer
Easifill (though taking this back tomorrow and swapping for Toupret as i’d also like to be able to add final bits of filler over a coat of white - to pick up any missed bits - apparently Easifill, unlike Easifiller is funny on painted surfaces)
Armstead Trade Diamond Matt (colour matched to rest of the house).

But, I can’t figure out what order to do it in.

I usually apply filler over a layer of mist coat emulsion, sand and then spot over again before going to topcoat. But this is the first time I’ve used the Zinsser products. I do have one deep hole to fill (9mm: will do it in two passes) but other than that it’s just small nicks from the scraper/edges of paint/etc.

any advice on the right order would be very welcome - including when to apply the filler. I’m happy to take any products back tomorrow and swap if I’ve got the wrong stuff (except the topcoat as that’s custom mixed).

here’s a photo of one of the walls. image.jpg

And the stuff I’ve got.
image.jpg

thank you very much.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back