Repainting house with flaking grit paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I've been putting off painting my house exterior because of the textured paint that the previous owners had applied which I have never figured out how to deal with.

Now though it urgently needs to be done as it is flaking off in patches exposing the bare render, which because of the house counstruction (concrete render on expanded steel laths) will cause rust problems left untreated.

I don't even know what the paint type is called. It looks as though it was painted and then grit (about 2mm wide particles) thrown on it while wet. Similar in principle to a pebble dash, but with paint as the bonding agent. I must emphasise that it's a paint rather than a render.

The loose patches come off easily with a wire brush but the rest doesn't so I'm a bit stuck with what to do. It will probably look odd painting over the walls if some of the texure is left and some scraped off.

Is there a machine I can hire to take it off more easily or what is the solution? Quite a few houses seem to be covered in it, so it's not rare.

Sponsored Links
Here are some photos, a close up of the textured coating (greyish area to the left is the coating, yellowish area to the right is the bare render underneath where it has flaked off or I've removed it with a wire brush) and one of the full wall.

9066326482_321d3e29f7_c.jpg

9064102237_ca47b07a6d_c.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back