Repainting interior woodwork-what paint would you recommend

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
..please?

My woodwork (skirtings, doors, frames, banisters etc) all could do with a freshen up. They're in a satin finish (I think you call it!) and 'white', or at least, were.. and I want to repaint them white, probably again with a satin finish.

I will obviously lightly sand and wash down, but what paint would you recommend I use?

I recently redid the paintwork in a living room and, to my eye, the finish, even after FOUR coats, is still a bit patchy, so I am looking for opacity with minimal coats!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Not a pro but have just done this myself with new skirting and architrave etc. I used Sikkens bl primer and satura for the main coat. Worked a treat with a light sand in between coats. Excellent smootg finish and a white that stays white. I bit more expensive but found it covers very well. A number of family and friends have commented on the finish. Well chuffed with this paint. It can run a bit but a keen eye will sort this out. Hope that helps

if using oil based why not try crown solo satin as it is self undercoating. Just fill and sand as needed and apply one coat of the solo. It will yellow over time but less than other oil based systems!

Sponsored Links
Have to agree with el here.

I've used Crown Solo Satin finish recently and was impressed. However, two coats were required.

Unable to comment on it's resistance to yellowing but would definitely recommend.

Thanks- so you put a primer down on top of the old, sanded, cleaned paint?

Yep.
Filled, sanded, cleaned etc. One coat of primer and 2 of the main coat.
I painted over gloss so sanded for a key for primer to stick to. I only used one coat of the satura on the skirting and arc as i didnt need anymore. Not patchy in the sightest. 2 went on the window sills and doors. A very light sand inbetween coats will give you a lovely smooth finish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back