Repainting large 3m x 2m softwood garden/yard gates

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We would like to repaint our large 3m x 2m softwood garden/yard gates and I am looking for some advice please.

The inside has one coat of Cuprinol 'Garden Shades' Seagrass which is a light green colour. We would like to repaint in Cuprinol 'Garden Shades' Muted Clay which is a light grey colour - both paints are water-based.

Would I be okay to use the shave hook to peel off any flaking paint, fill any cracks with wood filler and paint a couple of coats of Muted Clay straight over the top of the Seagrass?

I attempted to strip some of the paint with a heat gun and shave hook but it just kept going all gummy and sticking back to the wood, see cross brace in pictures..

Also, the outside of the gate (not pictured) is painted again in, I believe, one coat of dark green Cuprinol 'Garden Shades'. I would like to paint dark green Johnstones Non-Drip Gloss Racing Green, also a dark green.

The paint is in quite a poor state..

What should I do in this situation please?

Thanks a lot in advance,
cj.

Sponsored Links
Let the timber dry out completely and cover with something to keep dry between work.
Lightly sandpaper by hand to see what the surface is like? Fill any holes and apply undercoat suitable for the topcoat to be applied. I'd allow the undercoat to harden and lightly sandpaper, this will give you a second chance because it wont need to be as perfect as you think.
Apply top coat
Consider a 100mm roller for the larger flat areas. This is just our way of refinishing, by no means the only approach. If in doubt do a test patch first, the rough areas will probably need a few coats of undercoat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back