Repainting skirtingboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
2FF3E5E4-CCAA-48EA-AC73-18D5FB2F9EA2.jpeg
D868F3E1-693A-40A1-99D2-A2FD47D9FF7C.jpeg
F98503F0-881B-40D2-8E48-2357875C6CF2.jpeg
8CB408A4-6495-4381-B3E5-D029F97F53AA.jpeg
Hi all I have had to remove my skirting boards which have previously been painted, no they have been reattached with screws and glue I need to repaint them, not looking to remove old paint just paint over, what is the best way to do this, do I place undercoat them then paint? Or sand first then undercoat then paint? Any advice or help would be great thank you

Sponsored Links
It's actually much easier to sand and undercoat before you put them back. Then you only need to patch over the screw heads and topcoat after fixing.

They have been put back but how do I prepare them now? Thanks

If you don't own a filling knife, buy one.

Sand off those blobs of filler and any rough edges. You may need a little fine surface filler to tidy. Press it in well and use the blade to scrape off any excess before it harden. Smooth and patch-undercoat the filler and any bare bits. Wipe lightly with extra-fine paper to remove the shine from the surface of the rest of the paint.. You can then probably just topcoat.

Run wide masking tape along the floor so that no paint goes on it. If the gap is sufficient you can push thin cardboard (e.g. cut up cornflakes box) in to protect the floor. Clean off any drips or smears immediately before they harden.

Water-based paint can be difficult to sand as it tends to form balls, so use little pressure. If it balls, leave it longer to harden.

Sponsored Links
Your floor looks like a floating floor. You should be able to slide strips of lining paper under the skirting to protect the floor from paint. I don't like using masking tape, it the paint leaks under, you won't find out until it has dried.

I totally agree with JohnD regarding sanding waterbased paints, they can be a nightmare. When faced with them, I tend to use open weave abrasives such as Mirka Abranet. They cost more than your bog standard rolls of aluminium oxide or silicone carbide paper, but you end up using less (possibly making them cheaper in the long run).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back