Skirtingboard Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently had my carpet changed for LVT and now the shocking condition of my skirting boards is more obvious. I am not sure if some kind of glue was used with my skirting boards, but they have always had this strange yellowing to them. In the cupboards, the paint is yellow on the skirtingboards and I remember when I have had trades people in before, they have commented on the type of paint that has been used by the builders as this causes paint not exposed to sunlight to yellow.

The condition of the paint on the walls is equally shocking.

What would need to be done to restore my skirtingboards?
Would it just be a case of sanding and re-painting them? If so, would something like masking or frog tape on the bottom part protect the lvt enough?
Is there a sander which will also hover the dust away at the same time?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. My house isn't even 5 years old, so didn't really expect I would be needing to paint things up already but there we go.
(n)

Floor1.png

Floor2.png

Sponsored Links
Yes, sanding and repainting will make it look new.
Water based paint doesn't yellow.
I use Leyland and it stays white, but decorators I know report that dulux stays white as well.
Masking tape on new floor will prevent unwanted stains.
You don't need to sand off all the paint, just give it a key with 120 grit so the fresh paint sticks to it.
To avoid scratching the floor you could use double side adhesive tape to stick a piece of sandpaper to a smooth piece of wood, just half a millimetre from the edge, so it won't touch the floor.

I think the yellow stuff at the bottom is excess glue from the new flooring (or a previous flooring). White spirits often removes the glue. Alternatively it may be the case that they used expanding foam to fill the bottom of the skirting.

I do not think the yellowing is down to the lack of UV light (which makes oil based paints yellow).

Thank you guys. @OOPS, no the yellow stuff has been there since I moved in. I had so many snagging issues, I gave up on the niggles like that and focused on the bigger issues. Lots of silly things like this were left. Some idiot has screwed all of the door hinges on with a impact driver so the screw heads are totally sheered off so no way to remove the doors. Just one of the many stupid things that has been done.

The yellowing is occuring in cupboards or on the window sill if you remove a plant pot which has been there for a long time so lack of UV under where it was.

Sponsored Links
Have you tried to use an impact driver to remove the damaged screw heads. Sometimes it works.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back