Repair garage roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got pre-fab concrete garage with a pitched roof that seems to be leaking in a few places. I've no idea if it is made from fibre cement or asbestos. Upon closer inspection the sheets appears to have developed cracks along the areas where its leaking.

For one reason or another, I don't want to replace the roof at this time. There is a longer term plan in place but for now what I need is a quick and most importantly cheap repair. If possible I want to keep the sheets in place.

Is there some product i can paint and seal the cracks with?

Any advise on how it can be repaired?

Attachments

• 20240101_094633.jpg
    20240101_094633.jpg
    500.5 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
There are all manner of roofing compounds that will work such as Flexacryl which is like a melted Blu tack with fibres in to bind it together. Make sure you expose the repair areas carefully and clean it up best you can but avoid making dust if at all possible and wear a good mask. Keeping the area wet while you wire brush it is a good idea but take it steady. #
The compound can go onto damp surfaces and as long as you prep it well it has a good chance of working for you. Common sense i know, but make sure you take care if getting onto the roof and use crawl boards or some other suitable access.

There are all manner of roofing compounds that will work such as Flexacryl which is like a melted Blu tack with fibres in to bind it together. Make sure you expose the repair areas carefully and clean it up best you can but avoid making dust if at all possible and wear a good mask. Keeping the area wet while you wire brush it is a good idea but take it steady. #
The compound can go onto damp surfaces and as long as you prep it well it has a good chance of working for you. Common sense i know, but make sure you take care if getting onto the roof and use crawl boards or some other suitable access.
Don't really want to get on top of the roof. How about I paint the underside of the roof from inside the garage? Is Everycryl any good https://www.everbuild.co.uk/products/roofing/roof-repair/evercryl/

Similar products i believe and could be done from below if the cracks are not too wide so worth a try.

Sponsored Links
The last thing Iwould do is paint the underside of an asbestos roof with dust failing onto you.

Andy

You wouldn't need to clean the underside as much and just a gentle wipe with a damp cloth would be enough prep. The risk is minimised if you avoid having to break or cut it or do anything which produces dust.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back