Repair gate post

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a wooden gate attached to wooden gate posts which are themselves attached to concrete block garden wall. Problem is the gate post is rotting/eroded where it meets the concrete paved patio.ie from pavement up about 3inches. Any ideas about how to repair this in situ? I think the post was originally planted in the concrete patio.
All suggestions gratefully received. :confused:

Sponsored Links
I have my side gates hung from 3" fence posts either side of the drive.
The post against the house wall got damaged so I refitted it using a couple of frame fixings like these.
It depends whether the block wall will take the strain of the gate swinging on it.

i was thinking along simmilar lines dewy

although if possible cut off the rotten bottom off the post at an angle part way accross its width from the wall to finnish it off neatly
if it is placed near the ground leave a gap between the ground and post to stop rot

Right BA
I had to repair mine when British gas did some work and PULLED the gate that should have been Pushed to open.
They pulled the hinges off the post then denied they had done it despite being the only ones to have opened the gate which was always locked but had been unlocked to allow them to get in to do the work.
The only reason the opposite post is still standing is because it hadnt been fitted into the ground but had been nailed to the gatepost nextdoor.

Sponsored Links
Also cut the bottom of the post in a angle (wedge shape to the gate) to allow rain dripping off instead soaking underneath the post.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back