Repair my coving...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any idea on how much it would cost for the repair of a section of this coving (or is it cornice - it is the part that attached to the ceiling itself, rather than the more decorative bit below which is OK?):

150000_149105_88930_52812100_thumb.jpg

I imagine this needs to be done insitu by extending the existing? It is to go round a curved bay window where about 3 or so metres is missing. It is approx 22cm wide.

Any ideas on a) price, and b) someone in the Glasgow area who would do it?

Sponsored Links
The posted pic is blurry and wont expand. Why not post some more pics including pics showing the curved bay head?

How come there is damage?

Not sure about the damage - from before we moved in, I guess some of the ceiling came down/was water damaged etc.

I have attached this link which possibly allows it to open bigger. Its the broken piece in profile:

Thank you for the link. However, its still too blurry & out of focus.

As above more pics please. Is the ripped paper(?) or whatever it is, on the wall or the ceiling?

What, exactly, is your concern? Simply the cornice business or a defective ceiling as well?

Sponsored Links
Thank you for the link. However, its still too blurry & out of focus.

As above more pics please. Is the ripped paper(?) or whatever it is, on the wall or the ceiling?

What, exactly, is your concern? Simply the cornice business or a defective ceiling as well?

The picture shows a wall (floral coving/cornice at top which is intact) where it meets the ceiling. The ceiling has a seperate moulding seen here as three items in a line - these are the edge of the broken cornice which needs repaired. Also ignore the crack - it just runs down the wall and coincides with the break point where the cornice has come off.

I thought you could click on the 2nd picture and it would show an enlarged version?

Finally, the pic has come into better focus, and i can see the broken profile quite clearly.

As above, it can be done on a bench or in-situ ( its a relatively simple profile) but given the bay piecings its definitely best to do it on a bench.

Thanks guys - can a curved section like this be done offsite though? I suppose if you know the radius then yes, but getting both ends to meet seems tricky.

You were asked above to provide a pic of the bay, for the reason that "curved" bays can come in sections or a pure swept curve.

A curved template can be made when the section profile is taken - but sometimes its easier to run the curved head in place.

Fibrous plasterers can make the mitres ("both ends") meet quite easily - its part of the skill.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back