Repair needed to parapet / box gutter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a split in the lead (?) of my parapet box gutter. It has been there for years it would seem as the board below has swollen, opening-up the gap in the split. Various attempts at repair have been made but none really successful. One chap stuck fibreglass and resin over it which came adrift after about 8 months; a second chap painted over it with roof sealant stuff, a couple of coats. Again, this worked for about a year and is now leaking again.

What is the best solution to fix this?

Could I successfully peel back the lead-work (even may even be some sort of flashing and not lead); cut out and replace the swollen board and then replace and 'patch the crack or, is the only option really to strip back the whole length, it is about 6m in length and replace the whole boarding and apply new flashing? It would obvs need tying in to the vertical of the parapet on the one side as well as being tucked up under the tiles on the other.

I want a suitable fix but obvs don't want to spend more than I need to if I can help it.

Thanks in advance.

20231018_123132.jpg

20231018_122723.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You'd need a single length of lead under the tiles and let into the wall to form a gutter, with a cover over the lead on the wall side, so not cheap.

Atm not clear what if anything forms the gutter.

You could carry on bodging it but that split should surely be filled first with mortar.

Blup

Any bodge repair will surely fail quite quickly .
In this case it needs replacement , sol making good and relined. Even EPDM or torch on felt will work

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back