Repair of appalling bathroom extractor fan loft duct

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I've recently had a problem with a new build where the family bathroom extractor flue was not fitted.

The flue exit was hung from a beam via tape and not connected to the roof vent. The flue entrance was just lying on the insulation.

The extractor fan worked fine but was covered with the insulation so every time we had a shower for the last 6 months it was being blown into the loft space.

This has caused a lot of the beams to become mouldy and damp. And all the contents I had stored in the loft (including my wife's wedding dress!) To become very mouldy.

I called the builders and they came and did a repair on the flue.

I was hoping some people could chime in if the repair was acceptable or should I be asking for it to be done again?

They said someone will come and scrub the mould off but does the wood now need treating?

If this was your house what would you ask to be done?

PXL_20230117_141633028.jpg

PXL_20230117_141547036.jpg

PXL_20230117_141419345.jpg

PXL_20230117_141339953.jpg

PXL_20230117_141024496.jpg

Before: flue was around a meter too short to fit.
PXL_20230117_135753412.jpg

PXL_20230117_135549917.jpg

After repair:
PXL_20230118_181248042.jpg

PXL_20230118_181308328.jpg

PXL_20230118_181539738.jpg

Thanks a lot for your help.

Sponsored Links
Why is it so frickin difficult to get builders to do extractor ducting properly?! Mine were similar.
Get them back to replace full length of ducting and the wet insulation. Timbers will dry out and won't need extra treatment.
Watch out for kinks, loops, constriction of the ducting and make sure any condensation will run out rather than back in to the fan

Looks very rough would just do it yourself to be honest would get a much nicer job. Use silver aluminium tape looks better than duct tape or cable ties. And the insulation on the duct should go all the way down to the fan ideally.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

I'll ask them to do it again, or to compromise and give me the materials and I'll do it.

I'll drop an update once that happens

whatever Have real cowboys in the Wild West done to to allow us to use the term on appallingly installations like this.

Update:

I have chased the company again to get this sorted and we have come to a neural agreement that they will supply new ducting and I will fit it myself.

Make sure there's enough of it and it's not junk they've ripped out of some other poor sods loft

Make sure there's enough of it and it's not junk they've ripped out of some other poor sods loft
Good call.

It would not surprise me if it's the original bit they removed that was a meter too short

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back