Ceiling mounted ducted extractor fan in bathroom.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Okay, most of upstairs is now done and new bathroom is in and very chuffed. I now want to put an extractor fan into the bathroom, but purposefully did not cater for a hole in the wall axial fan. I've had them before, but to be honest don't really like the noise etc they make - and they can look a bit cheap..

Growing up we had an axial ceiling mounted fan (prob about 25cm) which worked a treat.

To keep the noise levels down, I thought about a ducted ceiling fan where the motor is set in the loft with ducting pipework going to the hole in the bathroom ceiling. Any experience with these? Any recomendations? Are they effective and quiet?

I know you get what you pay for, but I don't want to spend a fortune.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
No problems with these at all, but if you use flexible ducting, don't allow any condensate to gather.
Most bathroom fans extract at about 85 m3/hr and I wouldn't go for too much more as you don't want a gale blowing through.
Presumably your exhaust grille will be in the soffit or other solid wall?
John :)

Since you are going into the loft, I would recommend rigid PVC piping.

This minimises noise, can easily be angled to allow any condensation to flow outside and because it is rigid, will be easier to attach the in-line fan.

Thanks guys,

Can you advise on a model by any chance? Something you may have used?

Re the exhaust grill, I had planned on simply letting it exhaust into the loft? Is this a definate no? I personally can't see it being a problem. My loft if very very well ventilated with holes around the edge. It's not a nicely sealed new build. It's 1930's

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Lots of makes out there, can't recommend one.

Re the exhaust grill, I had planned on simply letting it exhaust into the loft? Is this a definate no?

Terrble idea, don't do it.

Once you've got the pipe in the loft , why are you baulking at 15 or 20 quid for the pipe to vent it outside and give you absolute certainty that all the moist air has been removed from your house ?

Thanks guys,
Re the exhaust grill, I had planned on simply letting it exhaust into the loft? Is this a definate no? I personally can't see it being a problem.

That is a definite no! doesnt matter how good your cross ventilation is in your attic.

Thanks guys.. and this is why I like this forum. Stops DIY'ers like me doing the wrong thing simply because of lack of experience..

Wish I could show you a few pics of the project thus far. Without all your help it wouldn't look so good.

Don't get one of the 85m3 types - that rating is with no ducting connected. As the duct gets longer, the airflow will reduce significantly.
Get a centrifugal fan, preferably at least 110m3/hour.

To work properly, air has to enter the bathroom somewhere. This is generally achieved by leaving a 10mm gap under the door, the extract grille being located in the ceiling as far from the door as possible.

As staed above already, extracting into the loft is a huge mistake and will result in all kinds of expensive problems.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back