repair of internal finish on stone (outside) wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This outside wall is about 22" thick, stone inside and out with rubble infill in middle (old style - property is maybe 200 years old. A small farmhouse and attached barn etc which was so say converted to a (larger) dwelling house about 100 years ago...and then "renovated" again about 40 years ago.

The inner face of this ground-floor outside wall had been finished to a reasonably smooth surface with I know not what exactly probably some 40 years ago. It had been papered above dado rail height (in a bathroom!) and the paper was bubbling (some damp behind) so off it came. The wall below dado rail (now removed) was tiled and they are sound if a little dated. There is no evidence that the wall behind the tiles is badly damp-affected.

The shaver point shown was not working and is not needed. The wiring will be pulled up from the roof space. The surface "plaster" was removed to remove the wiring and it became clear that whoever fitted the shaver socket/wiring had chased into the surface-covering right back to the stone wall's inner face. The chasing-in is about 15 cms wide and the depth to fill to make good varies from about 12mm to almost 30mm as the inner face of the stone wall is pretty variable.

I have also shown what came out. I don't know what the charcoal-grey stuff is?..then 2 coats of some sort of finishing has been applied. Though that's by the by, it would be good to have an idea what it is because I guess its been applied to quite a few inner faces of outer walls.

You can also see an old timber (pine I think) lintel from an old doorway in the wall from the original building (the floors are suspended in this part which might explain the height anomaly?). Does that cause extra problems in terms of making good?

So..thanks for reading..I just need to know the best way to make the thing sound & presentable i.e. capable of taking a breathable-paint finish.

I know that the outer surface has a painted cement render on it, again done about 40 years ago I suspect. I think it would probably be better with a lime-based covering for breathability of the wall but that's a job for another time. Inside I wondered about using a (premixed) lime base coat plaster for scratch and float coats to help the wall breathe a bit.

Any thoughts? Again thanks for reading.
I struggled to attach photos to this post..so I have put 3 in a "media" album ..under the "media" tab. (P1030342,1030344 & 1030245) - posted on 02 08 16.

Sponsored Links
here are the pictures I referred to that are in the Media album

Attachments

• bathroom wall repair.JPG
    bathroom wall repair.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 109
  • P1030345.JPG
    P1030345.JPG
    201.8 KB · Views: 95
  • P1030342.JPG
    P1030342.JPG
    271.2 KB · Views: 107

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back