Repair or replace boiler quandry

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Hopefully I have this posted in the correct place, if not please direct me to the correct spot and I'll delete and move it there.

I have a Halstead Ace/Ace High (not sure how to tell the difference) boiler. Approx 14yrs old.

Hot water started cutting out intemittently about 6 months ago and someone suggested it might be the heat exchanger on the way out, turn down the temperature and it should be okay for a bit longer.

This worked for a while, but now it cuts out every few minutes when hot water is running. In addition the 'lock out' now trips at least once a week, the boiler seems to randomly kick in even though no water or heating is called for, I now hear the odd clunk like something solid bouncing through the pipe work around the house every once in a while (air bubble?) and I've noticed the rads are occasionally warm to the touch even though I turned heating off several weeks back.

To my knowledge the boiler has never been serviced, definately not in the 3 years I've lived here.

Considering all this should I get it serviced or replaced?

A service on a boiler this age my not be cost effective, but a replacement (something like a vaillant) looks to be £1800 ish with install.

I'd welcome the advice of experts please.

Kind regards

Simon

Sponsored Links
Every boiler needs regular service. Who knows present one might start behaving itself once a bit of TLC has been applied to it

£1800 will not get you a Vaillant or another top brand if full works need carrying out on the system

Boiler change is not just a swop, a lot more needs doing to the system :rolleyes:

New boiler in my opinion. Halstead parts are very expensive and a mortgage is needed for a pcb on these.
Depending on your location you'll get it done for £1800 assuming everything okay with existing installation.

+1 with Jeff;
If you are in London, Tony will do ot for boiler cost Plus £740. Apparently.:

Agile
Thanks Received:
clear.png

This is a simple heat only boiler. Only three pipes to connect! And five wires!

Hardly more than my budgetary £740 price to install and I don't intend to be the cheapest.

Even with an Intergas Rapid that would leave £1200 out of £2000 to cover installation .

Tony

//www.diynot.com/diy/threads/sourcing-a-gas-valve.459794/page-2#ixzz49b9Ga73N

Sponsored Links
I think Tony covers Coventry as well!!

Please could anyone email me at ********** rather than posting messages on my profile as I only look at them very rarely and dont usually reply.

If you need to phone me then call ********** from an identified line and dont leave a voice message. If its not answered within three rings then try later.

Tony

Read more: //www.diynot.com/diy/members/agile.10128/#ixzz49bLbhdHZ

I think Tony covers Coventry as well!!

Please could anyone email me at ******** rather than posting messages on my profile as I only look at them very rarely and dont usually reply.

If you need to phone me then call ******** from an identified line and dont leave a voice message. If its not answered within three rings then try later.

Tony

Read more: //www.diynot.com/diy/members/agile.10128/#ixzz49bLbhdHZ

Might have to pay his bus fair though

Bin it before the spare parts bankrupt you. Halstead were bought out and essentially asset-stripped a few years ago; the remaining spares are now sold at extortionate prices by the new owner. An Intergas EcoRF (H&V Awards Product Of The Year 2016) would be a great replacement with a ten year warranty, or if cash is tight an Intergas Rapid with three years' initial warranty upgradeable to seven years for £125 at any time during the first three years

£740 is for fitting a heat only boiler.

I charge £840 for fitting a combi. But many do it cheaper than me. £500 is very common. I would like to say that I do it better and take more care to do it properly.

But that does not cover nice to have extras like TRVs and only a basic room stat and programmer.

Tony

So mods you edited my post to remove personal details when it was clearly taken from Tonys profile page on this site?

Why not police some of the bad advice and trolling that goes on instead???

It is a site rule that personal details should not be included in posts.

Even if its public information as in telephone directories etc.

Seems a little strict but that's as it is.

I have come across RGIs doing combi
swaps for just £250 in London.

Last edited:
You're right, of course, Tony - but the main point Razor was making was that the useless bunch of mods we have on here should exercise the same efficiency filtering out inappropriate advice and comments by some of the clowns who post on here.

Then again, some of my posts might then get rubbed......

Hi folks,

Sorry for the slow reply, but I wanted to get a general feel for this. I think I'll probably dig in my pockets and go for a new one. I've heard good things about Vaillant so I might start looking around there, not the cheapest out there but seems quite reliable and efficient..

Simon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back