Repair or Replace Metal Lath and Plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi... the partition wall in my bathroom seems to be made up of metal lath (like mesh chicken wire) and plaster, and i have just made a hole in it... sadly due to the nature of the wire the normal way of repairing this seems a little difficult..plus the wall will be tiled over shortly so i want to make sure any repair is strong... anyone any ideas...can i just use the fibre glass mesh and jointing compound to give me firm reapir.

finally it looks like the metal wire is starting to rust...so should i just rip it down and replace with aqua board..

Sponsored Links
I would tear it down mate and reboard it, I wouldn't trust metal lath walls to carry the tiling.
If the wall is not a wet area such as a bath/shower/cubicle/wet room etc.. Moisture boards will do the job and they are suitable for tiling to. if it is a wet room/cubicle aquaboard is the way to go.

As PBD, I also advise you re-board. It’s very important you consider what size/weight tiles your intend using but, usually, waterproof tile backer boards in wet areas & Moisture Resistant PB for all others. No need to plaster the bits your tiling, it’s neither necessary nor desirable as it reduces the maximum tile weight you can hang.

I would advise you read the Tiling Forum sticky & archive posts; it may prevent you making disastrous & potentially expensive mistakes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back