Repair or replace vacuum cleaner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an Electrolux "The Boss" Z2271 upright vacuum cleaner. It has been making noises recently, so I have taken the case off to see what is making the noise.

Turns out the brushroll is cracked at one end, and is flapping against the housing. Also the filters were totally clogged.

So, looking around it will cost me around £25 in parts for a brushroll, new belt and filters (might as well replace the brushroll belt at the same time).

However, I can buy a brand new cyclone vacuum cleaner for about £100.

So my question is this: is fixing a vacuum cleaner worth it? I have had 3 years good service out of this one, am I likely to get another 3 years out of it for £25 of parts?

Looking at the price of a new motor, that would push the cost of repair over the cost of replacement, so how often do the motors go? NOTE: the vacuum cleaner has cleaned up after all my DIY, so sawdust and plasterdust have been sucked up in the past.

Sponsored Links
I would probably give up on the Electrolux and buy a Panasonic' which should last a bit longer.

Ah, interesting you said Panasonic, there are some great deals on them at the moment so that was one brand I was looking at.

I think I'm going to assume the motor is unlikely to last long... they can't be THAT well sealed, surely?

Modern vacuum cleaners tend to have powerful motors that generate a lot of heat and need a good flow of air to keep them cool. What kills the motor is running with choked filters as the air flow is reduced, the motor gets hot and the lacquer on the copper windings melts. The motor bearings can be destroyed by abrasive dust but this is less common.

Sponsored Links
- heres my view:

The brushroll may well have broken due to something that you picked up on the floor - so possibly may not be the cleaners fault.

We sell bags for cleaners that have ben around for up to 100 years!!! So 3 years isnt good service.

ALWAYS check that you can get bags/filters for your cleaner before you buy it (and see how much they are)

Be AWARE that a cyclonic cleaner is all well & good BUT:
Filters are very expensive and need changing very reguarly (we sell infinite Dyson filters & parts as the cleaner falls to pieces).
AND you can see all the dirt from your carpet - in the cleaner (minging)

DONT be fooled by the power of a cleaner - the positiion of the motor & layout of a cleaner is far more important. A 2000W cleaner thats as big as your little toe will only proceed to blow up after 6 months.

in my opinion:
get a Henry - 1000W but huge capacity and because of its simplicity - has excellent suction for longer.

;)

please note 12 which is here

I had wondered about a Henry: they are used to clean offices and such, so they must be very reliable. Quite cheap too. I'm pretty set on an upright though, I have a lack of storage space to keep a cylinder plus hose tidy.

I have had two people suggest Panasonics now. I think I'll take Matt's advice and look carefully at the design e.g. motor position.

It's a shame to get rid of the Electrolux, but I think it is better to retire it to the great carpet in the sky... it has had a pretty hard life! :cry:

Hmmm trade advert, two posts and both advertising the same place for vac bags.

Sneaky 'not'

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back