Hoover Vacuum Cleaner question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, our Hoover vacuum has started to play up. I have cleaned all filters & collector, checked for obstructions but it still is not working properly.

The motor spins up to full speed then immediately cuts out however as it slows back down, just before it stops the motor kicks back in and it spins up again. It then repeats this exercise continuously, obviously this makes it impossible to use.

Cleaner is about 2 yrs old & cost around £180

My questions are:

do any of our experts recognise the problem,
is it something that can be repaired easily at home (eg straight part swap)
if not, is it really a cost effective repairable thing

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
Quite often with vac. cleaners the wires inside the sheath of the cable break, giving an intermittent connection. It is often where the cable enters the cleaner so switch it on & jiggle the cable to see if it goes on/off, if so then you simply need the cable shortening & re-terminating.I obviously do not know if this is within your capabilities or not.

Blokey";p="587882 said:
Hello all, our Hoover vacuum has started to play up. I have cleaned all filters & collector, checked for obstructions but it still is not working properly.

The motor spins up to full speed then immediately cuts out however as it slows back down, just before it stops the motor kicks back in and it spins up again. It then repeats this exercise continuously, obviously this makes it impossible to use.

Cleaner is about 2 yrs old & cost around £180

My questions are:

do any of our experts recognise the problem,
is it something that can be repaired easily at home (eg straight part swap)
if not, is it really a cost effective repairable thing

Did you get an answer to this? I know it's an old thread but is closest to my problem:
I have a Hoover Purepower 1700, aka U3470. Had it for some years and for all its vices, gets the muck up. I bought the wrong (branded) bags for it, so got some 'bootleg' ones from Asda. The first one split. Bad luck? The second split too - no idea why; dirt wasn't wet or anything. Asda said they'd had no other complaints, but sent me a refund. I foolishly put a third bag in - same thing. Of course dust ends up inside the bag-holding chamber - and the machine gets noisier. Some dirt in the bearings, maybe?
I finally got some proper bags, with filters, and fitted them. Hoover sounded as though it was running fast - it sucked OK, but soon cut out.
A blockage somewhere? I stripped it and couldn't find one; motor appears to turn easily enough, and fan fastened as it should be. If I run the machine with the cover off, and the outlet filter off so there's nothing to impededflow of air it runs (from cold) for 8 secs / cuts out / then stops and starts (of it's own accord) for 2 secs thereafter.
Any ideas please?

Sponsored Links
Did you get an answer to this? I know it's an old thread but is closest to my problem:

A blockage somewhere? I stripped it and couldn't find one;

motor appears to turn easily enough, and fan fastened as it should be. If I run the machine with the cover off, and the outlet filter off so there's nothing to impededflow of air it runs (from cold) for 8 secs / cuts out / then stops and starts (of it's own accord) for 2 secs thereafter.
Any ideas please?

Sir Echo - did you solve your issue? Very similar to my m-i-l Hoover the One.

No blockage - all tubing/cabling removed - still the same - speeds up then slows down loop.

Fitted a new cable with a terminal block as close to the rear entry point as I could - made no difference.

Don't have the necessary security screw tool at home to open casing - will take hoover into work tomorrow and see if connecting the new cable directly into disassembled motor makes any difference.

Other than that I take it the bushes/motor are the only other options?

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Cheers

Homer

The quick answer is No.

Our Hoover is several years old. It was bought when our Dyson DC1 packed in a while back. Dyson died after vacuuming up some plaster dust; the repair guy (in shop full of ailing Dysons) said they didn't like plaster dust and would need new motor for £40. I changed the bearings for about £3 and it was been running ever since.
The Hoover has a longer cord, longer hose and more suck than the Dyson. (My mother-in-law has a 50 year old Hoover junior) and for ages I've just been poking out and re-using the paper dust sack (stingy!) Finally bought box of 5 new ones (not Hoover brand) from Asda c.£3.50.
While vacuuming the kitchen-under-refurbishment I realised the bag had burst. No idea why. Contents were not wet or anything.
I replaced it and same thing happened. Obviously not too happy by now, and complained. Asda paid £10 for my trouble (although that also included recompense for some useless water pistols)
Branded bags at Currys were about £12 (ouch!) but I got some at Comet for about £8, and box includes new filters. that's when I found the motor racing etc.
The motor doesn't seem as accessible as in the Dyson. I entered into some dialogue with the motor manufacturers but didn't really get anywhere. I wouldn't want to pay £40 for a new motor and then find out that -say- brushing the commutator ring might have solved the problem. I don't know enough about motors: what would make it run faster, and then presumably, trip out? normally if they trip out (hoses blocked) they take a while to overheat - and also a good half hour to cool down and re-set.
Is my motor running too fast because the bag burst and dirt got in; or did the bags burst because the motor started running fast and putting too much suck on them? I really don't know - thought motor manufacturer might have been more interested.
Ball is now back in Asda's court. I do know machine was OK before I used their bags. If I get another motor I'll dismantle the old one and see what I can find.
Although our last washing machine needed new brushes every 2~3 years, I've never had to change these on a vacuum cleaner before. I think folk regard them as disposable now, judging by the numbers one sees at the tip or on Freecycle.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back