Repair roof Membrane from the inside.?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After a heavy downpour a couple of days ago I noticed a damp patch on my bedroom roof and went into the loft and noticed that the black cloth which sits under the tiles and above the beams have ripped in places and sections are missing.

Is there any way to patch then up from the inside?

Just looking to get through the winter until we can raise some funds as its quite tight at the moment.

A roofer who replaced a lath and resat some tiles said he would touch it (after we paid him) never mentioned anything, I phoned him and he said he did his job.

Attachments

• IMG_20221105_112838.jpg
    IMG_20221105_112838.jpg
    337.4 KB · Views: 1,347
  • IMG_20221105_112559.jpg
    IMG_20221105_112559.jpg
    383.5 KB · Views: 1,294
Sponsored Links
I had something similar about 3 years ago. Roofer tackled it from the outside. Removed sufficient tiles, removed the battens, slipped membrane under existing covering and overlapped. Then he replaced the battens and tiles.

Thanks its just that the roofer said that the sarking under the eaves has rotted too but to remove the tiles would need scaffolding and then if you have scaffolding may as well get a new roof.

I just had another look in the loft and the membrane section which runs to the eaves is all worn away in places .

It's just money I have not got especially after paying out 300 so looking for a solution to tide me over .

Sponsored Links
Thanks is it worth buying a couple of metres of sarking and trying to attach to the inside of the beams just to flashband to cover the large sections just get me till the summer.

I don't see why that wouldn't work.

I used the technique shown in the video to repair numerous small and larger splits and it worked fine. The tape comes in wider widths (https://www.screwfix.com/p/bostik-flashband-grey-10m-x-225mm/22704) if you need it. The heat gun (essential in this weather) melts the tar-like adhesive, and combined with the roller it bonds with the sarking felt very tightly - I'm confident I made it fully waterproof.

Your holes are larger so if there's material missing I think you'll want something to patch it with as well as the flashband tape. But if you can tape the edges together you'll likely get a decent result.

My guy used a ladder and took almost half a day but I was grateful for the quick fix. When he was repairing my roof he came over all nostalgic as he and his grandfather did all the roofs on the 90’s estate over the back. Even gave me details of a shortcut to the pub!

Understand how felt works - it sags between the rafters forming a trough for the water to run down - just get some thick polyethylene and nail it, under some strips of wood, tight up to the battens with a sag in the middle. It'll need to be under the felt higher up and on top lower down with a good (150mm overlap).

The eaves trays will only sort out the bottom few inches of rotten felt and need fitting from outside.

You used to be able to buy "catch sheets" with a little drain pipe you sent out to the eaves as a temporary measure - an improvement on the bucket as it doesn't need emptying!

I doubt you'd have much luck with flashband with so much missing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back