Repair roof Membrane from the inside.?

Sponsored Links
In case you don't know, the loft is vented.
Hmm datarebal do you know lofts are vented?

Anyway he said earlier the roof needs fixing - That's because the felt shouldn't even get wet. Repairing the felt is basically wishing the problem away. The leak needs fixing first.

Thanks, was it a larger section which needed sorting.
Probably about 3 metres by 2 metres.

Noticed a few houses/bungalows all built about the same period getting new roofs. One bungalow opposite had all the tiles taken off, new membrane, some new timber in places, new battens and then the old tiles put back on.

Scaffold erected day before, roof completed in one day, yep one day and scaffold removed the next. Not sure how much they would have paid but at least 7 guys working on this roof and had obviously done it this way before by how they were lobbing the tiles around.

Repairing the felt is basically wishing the problem away.
Repairing felt is to buy time. The OP is looking for time to carry him through the winter.

Hmm datarebal do you know lofts are vented?
He does. In another thread, he showed a roof he was working on that had big hole in the corner tiles. I said he should fill those holes with mastics. That loft would have been very drafty and breezy.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You all miss the point .
Which shouldnt surprise me I guess..
If nobody got your point, then you need to explain your point. Otherwise, how do people work out you have a point?

Since the loft is well vented. Any water evaporates will have a good chance of being dragged out by air flow. We are not talking about trying to evaporate a swimming pool up there. Unless the roof tiles are broken, the water that leaks on to the felt wouldn't be that much, but maybe enough to wet the ceiling

Still waiting on the delivery of the flashband for the small sections , had a heavy downpour today and could see water coming through one small section of tile (tried to show in the photo).

Is there anything I can apply to it from the inside or best to leave it as is.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221108_193712_com.whatsapp_edit_117114146059211.jpg
    Screenshot_20221108_193712_com.whatsapp_edit_117114146059211.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 94
Nothing you apply will likely to work. The water will pool and then leak down at another place. If the water comes down in drips at an accessible location, you could use a bucket or similar.

There's nothing you can do from the inside! The roof needs repaired from the outside...what's this nonsense with flashband and buckets.

The OP has no money till next year and is looking for bodges to get him through the winter which will prevent drips from damaging his ceilings etc - hence the suggestions about buckets etc.

While being slightly tongue in cheek, the sad reality is that in the world of poor people the humble bucket has been a lifesaver for years, and is probably making a comeback in a big way - a well maintained (i.e. regularly emptied) bucket can put off a roof or plumbing repair practically indefinitely.

the humble bucket has been a lifesaver for years, and is probably making a comeback in a big way
With the way things are going, I wouldn't be surprised if people start to empty the content of their over night buckets into the streets like times of old. Yet, roofers still think they are high and mighty. I reckon they will be more down to earth soon enough.

Sadly I have not got the funds, struggling to get by as it is, just have not got the spare cash so just trying to stop it causing further damage .

Fully appreciate what you say about the repair but just £300 spent on work on the roof, even though they had over 200 odd positive reviews on checkatrader over the last 5 years seemed to have done a bodge job .

I phoned them and they just said it's a old roof and if they fix one hole the will find another (wish they told me that first) .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back