Repair torbeck - broken cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. For months we have had intermittent problems with water running after the flush. I have cleaned the washer by wiping my fingers around it. This worked for a while but the problem returned. We overcame it by jabbing the front flush button with a finger. This worked 100% in releasing closing the water off. Until yesterday when it stopped flushing altogether. I have looked inside the cistern. All is as before. I have removed the switch and taken it apart to see how it works. I can see that the metal cable that looks to be 'pulled' when thebuton is pressed now has no tension. I have looked at the main valve to see whether it has a removeable top part - to enable me to look inside to try to refix the cable. It seems as though the unit isn't removeable without removing the cistern to get at the nut. I think that it is a torbeck - it is mainly white with a blue moving tube. The cable cover to the switch is yellow - if that helps. I can't see any obvious clips that would allow me to take the main body away from the washer end. We now flush the thing by lifting up the blue moving tube - works but not a long-term solution! Any help hugely appreciated! many thanks.

Sponsored Links
this is it

Attachments

• P1010449.JPG
    P1010449.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 409
  • P1010447.JPG
    P1010447.JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 247
I can't tell if you mean the filling valve or the flush valve is faulty. The filling valve appears to be a Torbeck. If you lift the float gently with your finger, water should stop flowing after a moment. Does it? If not, it can be cleaned or replaced fairly easily.

If it's the flush valve dribbling or no longer flushing, I'd just change it for a Fluidmaster. You will have to empty the cistern and lift it off. This is quite difficult if the screws underneath have rusted and you need to saw through them.

I'm sorry I don't recognise the flush valve.

Sponsored Links
The flush valve is usually welded together and can be a pig to get apart. The flush valve will have a top section that can be removed by rotating anti-clockwise leaving the mounting cradle still attached to the cistern - providing the cistern backnut was fitted properly!

Flush valve might be either an Opella or a Siamp (or a cheap copy of either)

thanks - the problem is with the flush valve not the filing valve. I'll have a look at twisting and removing the top part. It was installed by a very experienced and competent plumber a few years ago (not me!). Does my thinking regarding the cable make sense? I have pulled it a bit and reckon that it has come off inside the flush valve. thanks for your help

here it is... and there was somethng rattling inside it... the brass cable stop has come off (it's on the sink). Not repairable I think. I'll try to get a matching replacement valve and change it over. thanks

photos

Attachments

• P1010450.JPG
    P1010450.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 269
  • P1010451.JPG
    P1010451.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 225

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back