Torbeck Flush Valve Leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just fitted a brand new toilet & cistern that came complete with Torbeck Fill & Flush valves.

As I was assembling the cistern I thought to myself these valves look rubbish, cheap, flimsy.

Anyway got it all installed and noticed a slow constant trickle back into the pan. No matter how I adjust it I can't stop this. Its most annoying as it is constantly topping up! If I switch of the water supply the cistern will eventually empty into the pan.

I have taken it apart but can not find anything wrong!

I am thinking of replacing both the fill & flush valve now with this:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/fluidmast...=Search-_-SearchRec-_-Area1&_requestid=346733

Not sure if it will be any better but it looks better made! Just wondering if anyone could offer any advice, is this likely to be an adjustment on the Torbeck? Or should I change it out? Are fluidmaster any better? If not what is a good brand?

Sponsored Links
edit

show us a pic of the valve you mean.

describe where you fitted the rubber washers

This is the Torbeck:

http://www.heatandplumb.com/images/opella/main_product_ADP301.jpg

I fitted the rubber washer inside the cistern between the valve and the cistern, this was secured with the large plastic nut.

Finally the cistern was fitted to the pan with the large foam washer between and secured with two bolts wither side.

This was exactly as per the instructions, and all parts illustrated and referenced in the instructions were supplied.

The water is very slowly leaking back into the pan, there is no water escape between the cistern and the pan and dripping on the floor, so the cistern itself is definetly not leaking.

Could be a few things.

The push button cable is not releasing fully to allow the drop seal to sit flush on the outlet. Remove the push button from the trigger mechanism and see if that helps.

The cable maybe wrapped around in a manner where it is pinching the inner cable.

Dirt/debris or a misformed drop seal

Or just a plain faulty unit.

You appear to have installed it correctly as you described.

Pete

Sponsored Links
Yeah I thought the button so I tried with the button of and the cable 'relaxed' makes no difference. It does that these units don't get the best reviews, so may be I am better of just swapping it out for a better one - which is annoying as the unit supplied should be up to the job, but it just feels so cheap I don't think I really want to use it!

So any recommendations for a better one?

Also as an aside - when it's filling (again Torbeck fill valve) as it reaches the cut of point and the flow is reduced it makes a squeaking noise – bit like the air being released from a balloon – why could this be?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back