Repairing a freestanding convector heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve got a (cheapish) electric convector heater - the neutral wire has burned off the spade connector (it’s been at my elderly mums, and she’s had it on almost all of the time I suspect, as she likes it roasting warm). I assume the multi-strand neutral has loosened, or strands fatigued from the cable movement until too few left and it’s got too hot.

I took it apart to repair it, and the spade connector has been quite affecting by the over-heating. So as I see it either:
- open up the connector tangs, clean it up to remove the oxidation and recrimp it(I have no special crimping tools, so all done with pliers/what’s to hand)
- solder the wire back on to the clean half of the connection, wrap with insulating tape.

I have no desire to electrocute myself/burn down the house, so is either option sensible? Is there a right way to repair, or should I junk it?
0FEA5DF0-79DF-4DE6-8D96-381DEFB6A93E.jpeg

At the end of the day, they’re not that expensive to replace, but I hate leaving something that could be easily fixed.

Sponsored Links
TBH I would just buy another heater, not worth the hassle and future problems of a repair

shopping

https://www.toolstation.com/2kw-con...3GVlx77r_C3X05I2MKMBWvqdxalbCuNxoCz0IQAvD_BwE

Is it one like this, we use them on jobs, Toolstation sell them cheapest at less than 20 pound or a dearer timer model.
As for the old one, unless you can cut the wire back a bit then its too far gone, but im quessing you wont be able to cut enough off without it being too short.
Even then the piggy back spade looks too far gone.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back