repairing a gate post in middle of a 6ft panel fence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm repairing a gate post in the middle of a 6ft high panel fence.
The concrete on the hinged side of the gate was cracked and caused it to lean towards the gate which stopped the gate from opening.
The concrete post was 8ft and buried 2ft into the ground. the wooden gate is 6ft high, fairly heavy and attached to a 6ft wooden post (5cmx7cm i think) screwed through the timber and into the concrete post (with 15cm fixing screws x 7.5mm) Possibly too big?- and made the concrete post to crack in the first place?

I've dug out all the concrete where the gate and post resided. Now I want to replace the post and do a better job.

I was thinking of using another 8ft concrete post and a 8ft wooden post flush next to it (maybe 7cm x 7cm thick?).

my questions are - if I'm burying the 8ft wooden post that the gate is attached to - is there any need to drill through into the concrete? (attaching the wooden and concrete post together?) Worried that drilling into the concrete post might cause it to crack again and weaken the post (although if the wooden post is 8ft smack bang next to in the same hole maybe it wouldn't matter if it did crack?).

Or could i drill separate holes into the wooden post using smaller screws that go into the concrete post and not go as far in?

Note the fence has a 1ft concrete gravel board at the bottom and is on a bit of bend (not a straight 180 degrees angle but bends to about 120 degrees so I would get away with a slightly thicker wooden post inserted in its place)

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1660808848367.jpg
    FB_IMG_1660808848367.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 94
Sponsored Links
I think you are correct that drilling the fence post, weakened it. I would replace with actual gate posts. To secure hinges you can get them with holes through them for using nuts and bolts either direct to the hinges or to secure a wooden post to. You could also use wooden gate posts but I wouldn't use less than 150mm (15cm) if I was you. Fence posts are not very good for using as gate posts especially if drilled.

Thanks for reply. I needed to sort it today. I've just gone and bought a 8ft concrete post and 8ft wooden post 10cm x 10cm to attach gate to

It might be an idea to use steel strapping to attached the wooden post to the concrete one (unless it has holes). Toolstation does "field gate straps" that might suit if you can't get to an iron mongers. I wouldn't drill the concrete post though if I were you, apart from weakening it, you might ruin it and your drill bits if you hit the re-bar inside it....

Sponsored Links
Put a lintel across the tops of the two gateposts to stiffen the structure and resist leaning forces

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back