Repairing a L shape bookshelf

Sponsored Links
The angles should just be 45degrees. Practice with a few offcuts if the angle on the shelves is greater or lesser.

Doggs doesn't that 'assume' the angle is a perfect 90? Which it won't be as I made it.

Exactly, which is why you practice on a few offcuts. If you've got a kids compass, then you could measure the angle and half it, and there are gadgets that do it for out, but sometimes, a few test custs are the quickest way. You can use any old piece of wood, rather than waste the mouldings.

Sponsored Links
Fair enough Diggs, will get on it and post up when done.

p.s. is the gadget you mentioned sold in toolstation etc? I'd have a look.

get it fixed together so its stable and aligned, slap some 2 pack woodfiller in the gappy bits, sand flat and paint. The only thing that will possibly go wrong after that is you will get a hairline crack along the joint.

Had a go fitting the trim and it turned out alright. Both lengths were bowing:

IMG_20170505_120122.jpg

Got the corner joints in:

IMG_20170506_094820.jpg

Panel pinned them in. Then worked at the 2 external corners. I tried to sort the bow by pulling it in with g clamps and adding a mending plate and then sliding the moulding in and panel pinning it down. Of course the bow wasn't sorted and so I had to take off the longer lengths and re-attach to get them flush.

IMG_20170505_181724.jpg

Turned out alright I suppose :

IMG_20170506_094815.jpg

Sorry Hawkeye, but once it's bowed, all you can do is run it though a planer, but well done on a nice job

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back