Repairing a L shape bookshelf

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Join needs to be closed up and look flush

IMG_20170501_092424.jpg

Underside of shelf

IMG_20170501_092432.jpg

This is a very poorly finished bookshelf I made and I'd like to clean it up a bit.

Which would be the best option for flattening out that joint?

I was thinking either a jointing plate or a mending plate (one at each end).

Or perhaps something else I haven't thought of.

Sponsored Links
No I'm going to see if I can't pull it in flush with mending plates positioned strategically. Don't see why you think it's a dead loss so early.

Is here any chance of removing the shelves, splitting the joint and then making it good with biscuit inserts or similar?
John :)

Sponsored Links
I could add a biscuit joiner to my kit I suppose but do you think it would work? You should see the extent of the bow on both pieces!

Aye, I can see that! Where the joint is, are there any dowels or other joining methods at all, or is it just butted up? If its butted, then I guess some sort of mending plate on the underside is the way to go.
You could always fix a lipping, wider than the shelf timber, to hide the join if you didn't want to take the shelf down!
John :)

Really like that idea Burn!

Mind doing a profile drawing of what you had in mind? I have an idea but often prefer other people's ideas to my own haha

Split the joint, clean it up, apply 2 part wood filler and refit it, then use a bit more filler to smooth it off, and sand it down before it goes off completely. The filler acts as a glue, and will be stronger than the original wood.

Dogs I like that idea. I like the idea of the moulding better because it saves me having to cut it apart and also it's not something I've done much of.

Left it over night with G clamps hoping the joint would close up, it hasn't

IMG_20170503_103910.jpg

Mending plates failed by the way. No biggie.

IMG_20170503_103922.jpg

Bought a moulding, not the same as is listed but looks nice in my opinion :

IMG_20170503_104047.jpg

I will be going all the way around so there will be 1 scribe joint and 2 mitres.

I know to cut through the face to get the neatest possible cut but how do I mark out accurately to get the angles ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back