Repairing crack in roughcast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I'm about to buy new house. The home report however has identified a couple of issues. 1 of these is repairs required to the main walls. It appears to relate to a crack on the roughcasting of the external wall (see below window in pic). Can anyone tell me how big (or expensive) a job this is to fix and if it's something I should be concerned about (I.e that bit has happened on the 1sy place).

Thanks in advance for any help
20151113_161020.jpg Screenshot_2015-11-13-22-26-55.png

Sponsored Links
Looking at the photo, I would say that the blockwork underneath the roughcast has cracked too. Looks like a bit of movement has taken place.

Thanks for reply. If that is the case, is it as bad as it sounds? I'm imagining movement is pretty serious.

No, i doubt that its serious.

Your movement is could be the very common thermal movement - perhaps helped a bit by the amount of openings in that area of brickwork.

Are you on a hillside - the house to the right seems to be lower than your house?

You seem to have lintels below the soldier bricks.

There are indications that a little remedial brickwork has previously taken place.

Are there any cracks inside or anywhere else.

Sponsored Links
Hi
The house is on a very slight gradient. I haven't seen any other cracks but iI haven't had a chance to have a proper look over it yet.

Sorry for my ignorance here, I'm an electrical engineer so I have zero understanding of structural stuff, you mentioned lintels below soldier bricks, what does this mean and is it a good or bad thing?

Any idea of what would be involved in fixing this? I might get a roughcaster out for a quote before I fully commit to the purchase

Usually, its a very minor issue. All houses have had early movement , and continue to move for the life of the structure.

Dont get anyone out for the crack - fill it with polyurethane and paint.

lintels are good.

Dont let it influence you in buying the house.

If its still worrying you then I'd say, get inside the property and check if there's any cracking inside - if there, is pic it, and come back here.

FWIW: what exactly did the mortgage surveyor say?

Hi, survey has main walls as a category 2 and states "repairs to be carried out on areas of cracked and weathered masonry"

Thanks again for the info we are getting the house at a seemingly very good price, but I'm just wanting to make sure it's not a case of it being too good to be true

Cat 2 is for repairs requiring future attention - ie its not urgent.

Hi, sorry been away for a few days.
Yeah cat 2 is for non urgent repairs. I know from getting my own home report done however that there's not much science that goes into these ratio, it's quite subjective. I'm really just wanting to find out how big a problem this is before I go too far down the line with the purchase.
This worry is all based on a previous house purchase did where I ended up with a house riddled with damp, so I'm trying to make sure (as far as possible) that I'm not buying another house with major or expensive issues.

Thanks again for all the help, as I said earlier roughcasting and structural issues are miles outwith my comfort zone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back