Repairing cracked / rippled interior corner tape?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, this is my first post and I'm an absolute beginner when it comes to all types of DIY. I can hear most of you groaning :D

The tape in the internal corners of our house has buckled, cracked and rippled. I've taken some off the wall and there was nothing behind it except for grey plasterboard. The tape itself looked as though it must have been self adhesive as some of it has stuck to the wall. Behind the tape the wall itself is fine and undamaged. On top of the tape looks like a very fine sparkly powder and then HEAPS of paint.

This is a newbuild, approx 6 years old.

What I think I need to do is fill the corners with something? Add more tape, and skim over. Sounds simple, I know it's not going to be brilliant, but it's got to look better than what's there already.

I've had a look at the wiki but I can't determine what the plaster products that I require are called. Is anyone able to point me in the right direction? I'll probably have to shop at B&Q or Homebase.

Also, we had a new kitchen fitted recently and it involved moving around some cupboards but didn't include repainting. Some parts of the walls are grey. Does this mean the plaster board hasn't been finished properly? Can I just paint over this or does it need more work?

If the answers to my questions are elsewhere I am happy for links etc :)

Thanks for reading :)

Sponsored Links
What you have is a dry-lined wall, that has been tape jointed rather than plaster finished.
The tapes that can be used for this method can be white paper tapes (like this: paper tapes) that are stuck on using joint cement compound (like this: easi-fill) or self adhesive nylon tapes (like this: nylon tapes) that will stick without the use of adhesive/compound.
Both methods do require for a multi-application on the jointing compound, this is done to account for shrinkage and to feather-out and end up with a flattish, even smooth surface to paint.
Each application will require sanding down using 150-180 grit paper.

Thanks for replying so quickly - that is really helpful. So just to be clear, it will need joint compound on before the tape and after? Sorry, I know I sound daft.

If you use paper tapes, the compound needs to be evenly spread behind the tape, so no dry areas or they will blister.
If you use nylon self adhesive, which I recommend you do. This does not require any additional compound to fix the tapes, you just cut to correct length then fold it in to the corner, then you apply the compound over the tape to cover it, using a broad knife, make sure the tape is flat to surface. This is left to dry, then sanded down. You then re-apply a second coat of compound, feathering out the joint and filling any voids or lines. This again is left to dry, sand lightly to get a smooth even finish.
You can buy ready mixed compounds, which are suitable for smal repair work.
And may I also welcome you to the site?l

Sponsored Links
Thank you for the welcome, and for the clear advice - you've saved me many more hours of Googling :D

I'll have to see what I can find at good old B&Q.

They do do tape jointing products at B&Q as below:
easi-fill sachets
self adhesive tape
But is likely you will find some ready mix on the selves.

This little video may help, note: the Americans refer to joint compound as mud and I would also recommend that you do lightly sand down the compound once dry after each application, even though the video does not show or instruct you to do this, also he is using paper tapes, use nylon and so avoid having to apply first fixing screed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WSg5j8e0Y8

PS good luck!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back