repairing cracks/re-pointing

W

wolfman1

Hi, our new home has had some previous re-pointing and repairs to cracks, only thing is they haven't coloured the mortar, so it sticks out like a sore thumb, my question is what is the correct way to remove the old mortar and how deep to go, and if there is a crack should i carry out any other procedure i believe you can glue some ties in? I'm no builder so any help will be useful, i thought maybe i should grind down the middle of the joint and tap the mortar from the bricks and then refill and point? Also the mortar is a sandy colour so do i just mix some die in to normal cement, is it worth experimenting with the colour first to determin the correct quantity needed, or is there a standard sort of mix.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
if they are in an inconspicuous place and there isn't too much it may be worth it but if its on the front of the house i would get someone to do it for you as if you don't do it well it can look awful

Rake out to 20mm.

You only need reinforcing bars if there is potential ongoing movement - in which case you will/should have had professional guidance

You need to do controlled test mixes, as the colour is determined by the type of sand, the cement content and any added lime. Then when you iron the joints, it can darken them further

DIY colouring powder will fade over time and is generally unreliable, so get a match without it if possible

Pointing adjacent joints can help to disguise cracks and blend new repointing in.

Sponsored Links
Thanks
What is the process of raking out?, do i literally scrape the old out?
I think there may have been some movement of the house, but the cracks are only in the mortar and they were repaired some years ago by the now deceased owners husband who also died some years ago. i am having a dwarf wall built for my conservatory so i'll see what colour this comes out, the builder doesn't think the original mortar was dyed but more to do with the sand. i think i'll try a bit of experimenting and repoint adjacent area to blend the repair.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back