Repairing & decorating old cottage internal walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Started decorating our old cottage wall in the lounge but taking the old paper off has pulled off quite a bit of the plaster under.

The cottage has obviously suffered with damp in the walls as the bottom 1/3rd of the outside walls has been lining with t&g over battens.

Having got most of the free falling plaster off, the brickwork underneath does not look damp.

The other problem is that the walls are not particularly level. There was about a 25mm thickness of plaster just above the wall panelling but at ceiling height there was only about 10mm. Plus there were lumps and bumps across the wall.

I now need to get a new surface ready for decorating and not having the skill to do a proper skim and float, I believe my options are as follows: -

1. Put up batten guides and then skim with one coat plaster.
2. D&D plasterboard.
3. Batten and then plasterboard over.
4. Batten and then t&g to match lower wall.

The finished wall would then be papered.

Do my options sound reasonable or is there something else that would be more suitable.

Richard

Sponsored Links
I'd make sure the brickwork really isn't damp before you go spending money on a covering which may not last. Can you see a dpc (damp proof course) internally? Is it working? (Test for dampness with a damp meter, above and below the dpc). Externally, has the dpc been bridged? You don't mention whether you have a timber floor? If so do you have enough ventilation under the floor? If the floor is springy there may be other problems to fix first.

It's an old cottage. If you want something that looks like a new build then buy a new build.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back