Repairing felt to reduce drafts and dust

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just finised laying the floor in my loft and I now want to tackle the problem of drafts and dust.

The felt in my roof is quite brittle and there are a couple of holes/tears that I would like to repair before I cover it with some insulating foil backed 'bubble wrap'.

hole.jpg

tear.jpg

I've been in the house over 7 years and I haven't noticed any leaks in that time (touch wood) so I think the slates are ok. So it's just a case of making good prior to covering it all up.

What's the best way to repair the felt? Or do you think I could just leave it alone?

There's also one section where the felt doesn't extend enough to be held in place by the next rafter. If I carefully push it back, some of the nails attempt to hold it. But i imagine it'll work itself loose again.

loose.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
A bodge - not a 'proper job' but has been used to good effect.
pix modification quality is poor but the idea is there, thin batons, flexed between rafters (in brown) support the hole area - can be easily undone.
Bit like posting a letter.. the yellow (for illustration only) part would be a thin felt, the top half in the roof space, the lower twixt slate and felt, most water (if any) flowing down toward hole should be deflected over the gap ...
Perhaps the patch method on top of this would be more effective.. Worth a try.
patch.JPG

?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back