Repairing hole in concrete/slate tiled floor...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Apologies in advance if this is in the wrong sub-forum, I wasn't sure if this counted as building, flooring or tiling...it's a bit of all three I suppose.

As you can see from the attached picture, I've had a reasonably sized hole dug out of my slate tile/concrete floor to repair a leaky pipe. The pipework is now fixed, but I'm left with a hole that needs filling in, concreting over (presumably?) and then re-tiling.

image upload

I know this is probably pretty basic stuff, but it's my first flat and I've no DIY experience but rather than get a handyman in to do the whole job I thought I'd do as much myself as is sensible given my basic skills!

I've got a couple of questions if anyone can help me, firstly, what should I use to fill the hole? Sand? Cement? Concrete right to the top? And secondly, if I fill it with, say, sand, can I then concrete on top of the sand, then re-tile on top of that?

I have spare tiles, so that's not a problem!

Finally, I'm aware that the pipe work is a bit of a mess (it looks a bit like spaghetti junction!) and the pipes will need lagging before I put anything else in the hole (but correct me if I'm wrong!)

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Nick

Sponsored Links
cant upload your pic for some reason...but anyway get your pipes covered in condiuct etc..

then a repair mortar imo...Ardex A45 just follow mfr inst.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back