Do I need a decoupling membrane?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have dug a hole in my conservatory to fix some drainage issues and we’ve decided to change the tiles as we have few spares and some tiles have broken loose due to vibrations from the concrete breaker.
I’m going to have to fill the hole with a sand base, then concrete and self levelling compound to bring it level with the existing concrete.
We are going for some 450x450mm porcelain tiles that are 15£/m2. The tiler that did our kitchen used a decoupling membrane, I think it was because there were some cracks in the floor and a wall had been removed.
Do I need to use a decoupling membrane? They seem to be around 10£/m2; given it will be my first time tiling a floor, will it make my life easier? Does it need to be adhered to the concrete using tile adhesive so I need double the adhesive I would use without a membrane?

Attachments

• IMG_6678.jpeg
    IMG_6678.jpeg
    230.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_6655.jpeg
    IMG_6655.jpeg
    315.4 KB · Views: 18
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back