Repairing kitchen worktop damage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One of the gas hob ignitors has stopped working. Clever clogs here thought it’d be a good idea to find the serial number for the gas hob which would be located underneath the unit. I prised up the hob from the worktop and didn’t realise there were clips at the front holding it in. They’ve lifted and broken off a bit of the laminate. Each damage is about 10x15mm. It’ll partially covered by the hob when replaced but still visible and water will definitely get in from cooking or cleaning.

Has anyone successfully repaired a laminate worktop?

Sponsored Links
You could repair with car body filler , but will be visible.
You might be able to make a passable fix with iron on edging tape to match unit finish , creating a coloured border around the hob .

Last edited:
my take on attempts to repair laminate worktops is a flat no, dont even try, you'll probably draw attention to it, and make it look worse.
as above for instance, car filler will be visible.

fwiw, all cut outs, raw edges and bored holes in laminate w/t's should be sealed on installation - i use 2 x coats of contact cement, some use a thin smear of silicone.

Sponsored Links
You could repair with car body filler , but will be visible.
I'll look into it.
my take on attempts to repair laminate worktops is a flat no, dont even try, you'll probably draw attention to it, and make it look worse.
TBH the only reason I'd repair is to stop moisture getting in and causing more problems. The damage is just in front of the hob cut out and partially hidden by the hob. Even if I didn't repair, the worktop is a black/grey marble effect so the chipboard underneath stands out like a sore thumb.

Use this stuff. Its intended to fill joints between sections of work top and will seal the chipboard underneath the damage.

i'd use pva and a clamp to strengthen the chipboard where you've damaged it if required and then fill the damage to the laminate on top with the right colour of the stuff in the link below.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/colorfil...3WVmuh_hiLfrpxme_vgaAgAbEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

It probably won't be completely invisible, but it will make it much less noticeable that it no doubt is now.

Have you still got the bits that broke off? You might be able to glue them back into place and then just use the colour fill to fill the cracks around the edges and that would probably be the least visible repair.

i would have thought a 5mm bead off silicon all the way round with any slack sideways used to cover the break would possibly work ??

u might be able to glue them back into place and then just use the colour fill to fill the cracks around the edges and that would probably be the least visible repair.
Yes I do. I wanted to glue them back on but I know that would leave possibly unsealed cracks into which moisture could seep.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back