Can this kitchen top be repaired?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Apologies if this is in the wrong section, is there any way to repair the laminate on this damaged wooden kitchen top? It looks like the laminate has been melted off from the hob exposing the wood underneath.

Any advice is very much appreciated, cheers.

Sponsored Links
is it laminate or is it wood?

Look at the cut ends and the underside.

Sponsored Links
From the picture it looks like a real wood worktop which may have been stained or varnished.
If this is the case then you should be able to strip it back to bare wood and re-finish the surface with stain but I would recommend an oil finish. To prevent damage from hot pans etc position a heat proof mat next to the hob to put hot pans/dishes on.

From the picture it looks like a real wood worktop which may have been stained or varnished.
If this is the case then you should be able to strip it back to bare wood and re-finish the surface with stain but I would recommend an oil finish. To prevent damage from hot pans etc position a heat proof mat next to the hob to put hot pans/dishes on.
OP said it was laminate?

OP said it was laminate?

Agree that is what the OP stated it was but you can see the bare pattern under the 'laminate' which suggests it 'could' be real wood and not laminate.
My experience of burnt or heat damaged laminate has resulted in bubbles in the laminate or scorch marks which don't seem to be apparent here.
As suggested earlier he needs to look underneath or at the end grain if it's visible to confirm what the substrata actually is.

Last edited:
Hi guys, sorry for the confusion, I'm at noob with this area so apologies for the conflicting terms in my post, this is the end of the kitchen top:

Would I be correct in thinking that this worktop is in fact wood and not laminate?

Cheers for the help guys,
Kyle.

Hi guys, sorry for the confusion, I'm at noob with this area so apologies for the conflicting terms in my post, this is the end of the kitchen top:

Would I be correct in thinking that this worktop is in fact wood and not laminate?

Cheers for the help guys,
Kyle.
Yes, its Oak.

Last edited:
It looks to me like it has been varnished rather than oiled. You will need to sand down the whole worktop and re varnish or oil.

Rub whole top down to 150, then three coats of Osmo Top oil, one coat a day over three days or at least 12 hours between coats. very lightly denied between each coat. Then use heat mats or trivets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back