best kitchen worktops

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
after seeing disappointing results with tiles, hardwood and metal cladding, and cracked asterite-type tops, I have long been of the opinion that laminated worktops, in a mottled colour, and with a formed front edge, are the most practical in a working kitchen, as they need little maintenance and are less easily damaged and marked than the alternatives.

"Staves" wooden strip tops look nice in the showroom. I was wondering if they can be given a finish that makes them stand up to practical kitchen use.

Is there anything as practical as laminate?

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't say granite was as bomb proof as laminate, can be chipped, scratched, marked by cooking oil and citric acids.

As long as you don't cut on a laminate top or put a hot pan on them they are the best all rounder.

You can use something like Rustins plastic coating on worktops which makes them quite durable but its a bit thick and gives the wood a varnished - plasticy look.

Jason

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't say granite was as bomb proof as laminate, can be chipped, scratched, marked by cooking oil and citric acids.

As long as you don't cut on a laminate top or put a hot pan on them they are the best all rounder.

You can use something like Rustins plastic coating on worktops which makes them quite durable but its a bit thick and gives the wood a varnished - plasticy look.

Jason
Laminate is chipped and scratched far easier than granite.
Around appliances laminate is adversly affected by steam and moisture.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back