Repairing Mixer Shower Tap Handle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

My shower mixing bar's flow control handle (left) has broken today. Instead of being able to control the flow of water, the handle 'slips' and does not quite grip what it needs to internally to open/close the valve.

The value is stuck slightly open, so the shower is running. However, we have a water pump that we've turned off, which has all but stopped the majority of the water flow except a small dribble.

There's no obvious way to remove the handle with a screw or bolt, so before I go ahead and order a replacement mixer bar, I was wondering whether these types of things can be fixed? Or if this mixer bar has come to the natural end of its life.

Thanks for any help.

Joe

Attachments

• Image_20240206_141325_446.jpeg
    Image_20240206_141325_446.jpeg
    265.6 KB · Views: 29
Sponsored Links
You should be able to prise off the end cap, (to the left of the lever, though often quite a good fit and hard to see the join), inside which there is usually a screw that simply needs nipping up. Inside there will probably be a toothed wheel which sits inside a stationary toothed wheel. Sounds like they have simply slipped out of place. May help to remove the operating lever first to see if there is a grub screw inside, instead of an end screw.

You should be able to prise off the end cap, (to the left of the lever, though often quite a good fit and hard to see the join), inside which there is usually a screw that simply needs nipping up. Inside there will probably be a toothed wheel which sits inside a stationary toothed wheel. Sounds like they have simply slipped out of place. May help to remove the operating lever first to see if there is a grub screw inside, instead of an end screw.
I took the operating lever off, and it looks like there is a grub screw, as you suggested. I've attached a photo.

If I loosen this, in theory, should the handle come off?

Attachments

• Image_20240206_143408_892.jpeg
    Image_20240206_143408_892.jpeg
    181.6 KB · Views: 18
Yes, it probably will do.
Check the toothed wheels inside both parts to see if they are damaged. Give them a good clean, (possibly gunked up with soapy scum), and re-fit by pushing fully home. Test to see if drip stops before locking grub screw back up.
If the teeth are damaged you may be able to buy new ones. If not, then it may be a new mixer bar.

Sponsored Links
Yes, it probably will do.
Check the toothed wheels inside both parts to see if they are damaged. Give them a good clean, (possibly gunked up with soapy scum), and re-fit by pushing fully home. Test to see if drip stops before locking grub screw back up.
If the teeth are damaged you may be able to buy new ones. If not, then it may be a new mixer bar.
Thanks, I've taken out the grub screw and a secondary smaller grub pointy bit that was behind the grub screw, but the handle still seems not to want to come off. I can't see anything else holding it in place, so is it worth giving it some elbow grease, or is there something else I'm possibly missing?

Any other screws around the back section?
If not, then two thin blades/narrow scrapers into the slot on opposite sides, (one at the top, one at the bottom). may help to get it started. Once it starts it may become easie, but don't rush itby going at it like a bull in a china shop. Patience is the key.
May sound a bit strange, but see if you can spray some WD40 into the split and leave for a few minuyes.

Any other screws around the back section?
If not, then two thin blades/narrow scrapers into the slot on opposite sides, (one at the top, one at the bottom). may help to get it started. Once it starts it may become easie, but don't rush itby going at it like a bull in a china shop. Patience is the key.
May sound a bit strange, but see if you can spray some WD40 into the split and leave for a few minuyes.
Thanks, Conny,

I got it off in the end and spent 3 hours looking to see the issue, but I couldn't figure it out. The 2-way diverter & handle seemed to work okay when not fully screwed into the bar, but this would leave a small leak. I tried cleaning all the parts, dismantling them as much as possible, and even looking for a replacement diverter. Still, in the end, ordering a new mixer bar appeared to be as cheap as spending more time, effort, and money to only maybe fix the issue.

Hopefully, it should be a fairly simple swap when it arrives tomorrow.

Many thanks for your help & suggestions; much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back