Repairing next doors leak now in my house!

S J

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI All

Hope someone can help - next doors house is rented and never did anything about a water leak in the bathroom and it has now penetrated the lounge wall in my house to leave salt deposits on the wall.

After alot of hard work and hassle apparently the leak got fixed and all was meant to be good, so I got a plasterer in to sort it, as far as I understand he scraped off all the loose paint and salty bits, primed it all green and then skimmed the whole wall and said it would take a while to dry out.

Anyway that was a good 6 months ago now and even after buying a quality de-humidifier the wall is still wet and not drying (infact if anything I'm sure its spreading along the wall at mid socket heightt??) It does have some dry bits which sound like plasterboard in the middle of block wall (maybe a previous repair?) Were talking about a section about 1sq/m

So any ideas if something wrong has happened or gone wrong, there is no damage to skirting or wooden floors, the house was built in the mid-80s. I'm thinking has the leak not been fixed (which means another load of hard work getting hold of the landlord which will get me angry!!! :evil: ) should it of fully dried before plastered butr surely this would of taken ages but surely still dry now with plaster over it???

I just need some advice and help - anyone to shed any light on this???

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It should have dried out long go, sounds like it is still leaking.

It should have been dried out before plastering.

Is their insurance covering the damage to your property?

It should have dried out long go, sounds like it is still leaking.

It should have been dried out before plastering.

Is their insurance covering the damage to your property?

Hi thanks for the reply. Don't get me wrong it wasn't wet, and dripping (next doors walls were), just damp (it wasnt bad enough to knock render off etc, but thge plaster drying mark isn't getting smaller but seems to be getting bigger.

I have insurance but haven't claimed as I thought a few evenings of me painting and someone coming in to spread the wall was better value than making a claim (due to excesses etc - especially when next door are actually saying its not theres - even though the carpets are soaking and bathroom walls were dripping with water)

My concern was something could of been done with this green stuff which stops the damp wall drying (It was a green primer put on made by cemetone or something like that - I am a little clued up as am a tiler by trade so always show an interest in work being done), but maybe it is just next door still has a water leak then. I've just put a claim into land registry to get the landlords address to go and see him and sort this out but just wanted to be armed with knowledge and make sure it wasn't something the spread I used did.

Thanks Steve

Sponsored Links
I have insurance but haven't claimed

I think alastair was referring to their insurance (not yours).
If they've had a leak fixed under insurance, they should have sorted your side too. I suspect they've not claimed on theirs.
Good luck with the landlord.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back