Saturated bricks and wet plaster

Ok thanks. I believe the lower part of the wall had render on it originally and that this was skimmed over. The rest of the wall was hard plastered (is this the correct terminology?) i.e he plastered straight onto the wall. I will ask him for the full details. Please excuse my ignorance but what does the 'float' process mean/involve?

Sponsored Links
Putting on the undercoat ruling off then consolidating with float is the whole process then you put your set / skim on= float&set

Thank you very much for that.

I will be having all of the plaster taken off in order to speed up the drying of the brickwork. Then I'll ensure that the whole wall is undercoated with a render first and then the plaster can be applied. I hope I have this all right!!

Sponsored Links
As soon as I'm able to take some I will and post them up here for you to see. Thanks stevethespreader. You have been a great help. (y)

Are you sure that the pipe is fixed? If it was copper pipe that had pin-holes in it, then it's likely to leak in more than one place. Salts forming usually means the leak is still there.

Are you sure that the pipe is fixed? If it was copper pipe that had pin-holes in it, then it's likely to leak in more than one place. Salts forming usually means the leak is still there.

The leak has definitely been fixed. It was where an old lead pipe was connected to a copper pipe. The whole section has been replaced. Plus the plaster is drying, it's just taking an extremely long time.

I've had a word with the builder and he has agreed to removed all of the plaster from the affected area. When I asked about having the wall rendered before the new plaster going up, he said that it was a very 'old school' thing to do and was unnecessary. He mentioned 'bonding' and 'new fandangled things.' I've got some time before I need to have this conversation with him again. Is this an example of trying to get the job done as quick as possible and ignoring the best way? I want to make absolutely sure before I discuss it with him. He is a plasterer after all and I hate to sound like one of those people telling someone how to do their job!! I very much appreciate the help and advice given so far and I'm sure you understand where I'm coming from with this. Photos will follow when I can get then taken.

As always thanks in advance for any input.

Hike

It's pointless taking it off only to put bonding on it, the best thing for solid walls that have been damp and also in a kitchen is render all the condensation from cooking and washing will be hitting your cold solid wall and bonding won't deal with it that well, just how much have got to be taken off where are the pics?

I assure you I will get the pics posted as soon as I'm able to. Your input and advice has been invaluable. Thank you again Steve.

This is one of those things that everyone argues over. Render is not water permeable but is very cold. Bonding is warmer but needs to be covered in good acrylic kitchen paint to stop the condensation/water causing problems. It probably doesn't matter which you opt for.

Thanks Joe-90. It seems now that all I need to do is decide when to have them back to plaster the wall again. I don't want to do it too soon as I'll end up in the same position. They are reluctant to make the decision themselves. Obviously the longer the bricks a free from plaster the faster they will dry. If I leave it too longer however, I risk having no kitchen at Christmas which is far from ideal.

ree,

I am fully aware that I am yet to post the requested pics. This is simply down to circumstances. I'm sure you understand that sometimes things don't always go to plan.

Kind regards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back